"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #11
Executive Chef

When I make polenta at work, I always start with salted water, bring it to a boil, and start adding cornmeal mixed with water, whisking the whole time. Once it's thick, I stir and stir for a few minutes with a spoon until it really starts to thicken. I'll remove the pan from the heat, add some whole butter, and parmesan cheese, and stir until the butter and cheese are melted. We usually serve it shortly after it's cooked, so it's always soft.

At home, I prefer to pour the hot polenta into a well-greased loaf pan, and let it chill and solidify in the fridge overnight. I'll slice and pan-fry it later. Usually, though, it's not polenta, but "cornmeal mush", just cornmeal and salted water, and after the slices are fried, I'll top them with maple syrup.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:25 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK
Usually, though, it's not polenta, but "cornmeal mush", just cornmeal and salted water, and after the slices are fried, I'll top them with maple syrup.
Oh, Allen, cornmeal mush is a favorite in our house. When one of our sons was young (10-years-old, maybe) we couldn't fill him up.

Ours is a blended family and he and his father had never heard of, much less tasted, cornmeal mush until they met me.

I made it for breakfast one weekend morning and was astounded at how much the boy liked it. He's now 35-years-old and still requests it.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I never heard of it until I moved up to Michigan 5 years ago. PeppA's mom would buy a tube of the stuff, slice it like sausage, fry it, and serve with syrup. I'm a "from-scratch" kind of guy, and prefer to make just about everything from scratch. So, when I do make it, I don't even think about the store-bought stuff.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:06 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK
... Usually, though, it's not polenta, but "cornmeal mush", just cornmeal and salted water, and after the slices are fried, I'll top them with maple syrup.
imho, Polenta is just the Italian (and therefore in US "fancy") word for cornmeal mush! My father would not even consider tasting mush, but years later when I served polenta as a side dish for Osso Buco, he polished off two big helpings. Seems it was the sound of the name "mush" that he couldn't wrap his thoughts around.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:38 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
My favorite way to make polenta is to layer polenta then zucchini (sp?), mushrooms, sausage then polenta, bake it and top with meat sauce.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Stuffed Polenta.pdf (36.1 KB, 71 views)
Old 05-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti
My favorite way to make polenta is to layer polenta then zucchini (sp?), mushrooms, sausage then polenta, bake it and top with meat sauce.
Wow thanks for the recipe. I"m going to give this a try sometime soon!!

Tags
None