"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-25-2006, 06:31 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Pimpim
Exclamation Saffron Emergency!

Hey y'all...:) I hope you could help me, I've been thinking about this all morning... isn't saffron kinda expensive? Is there any alternative I could use for a paella?

Pimpim

Old 08-25-2006, 07:05 AM   #2
Head Chef

You only need a teeny bit of saffron, so it goes a very long way....personally I think its worth it.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:10 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpim
Hey y'all...:) I hope you could help me, I've been thinking about this all morning... isn't saffron kinda expensive? Is there any alternative I could use for a paella?

Pimpim
A little goes a very long way!

Of course, you could use turmeric, but then you'd have a rice pullao instead od a paella!
Old 08-25-2006, 07:18 AM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Many specualty stores and supermarkets sell saffron in small glass vials in the spice section, or they keep it under lock and key and you have to ask for it. Even so, for a large paella you only need a PINCDH of what's in that little vial. too much will make your dish astringent and unpleasant. Turmeric will color the rice, but will not give your paella the traditional "paella" taste you are after.
There is no substitute.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

There is no substitute for saffron in paella. Saffron is a key ingredient. In other dishes I would recommend you just leave itout but that won't work with paella.

As mentioned above, you only need a little and that won't cost too much.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
In Italy they are available in finely ground form in tiny individual pouches for single uses, though they are sold in multiple packs of at least 3 or 6 pouches, they don't cost any more than a couple of euros at the max, and you will be surprised just how little it is required to attain a full effect, both flavour-wise and colour-wise.

See if they are available in this kind of format, it is really worth it. As Clive pointed out, if you are only concerned about making it yellow turmeric will suffice, but the flavour will be completely different.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
Executive Chef

there is no substitute. the flavor is strong and unique and blends with citrus, tomato, fish, meat, and herbs like nothing else. Tumeric will give you a yellow color, but no taste.

All spices are expensive. Look at the price per pound at the supermarkets. If you use a lot of saffron in your cooking as I do, then it is worth buying an OZ at a time (bulk) and it runs about $35. this will last me about two years and it keeps well in an airtight can. It is usually sold by the gram or 16th of an oz. and runs anywhere from $2.50 to $4. But you won't use all that in one dish. So it is cost effective.

Make sure you buy the strands, not powder.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #8
Head Chef

I have used both strands and powder, I like both, but find the strands more beautiful and therefore enjoyable. I would certainly choose using powdered saffron over using none at all!
Old 08-25-2006, 12:23 PM   #9
Head Chef

Try the health food store or ethnic market--saffron is often cheaper from those places.

No substitute for it, no matter how expensive.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
Head Chef

Something I learned from a chef: To get maximum mileage out of your expensive saffron, don't add it directly to food. Place saffron threads in a small mortar. Add pinch of iodized salt & sugar. Use pestle to finely mash saffron threads, then add a little chicken stock to pick up all that precious flavor and color. Pour this liquid to the food.

Tags
None