Sauces for tagliatelle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suthseaxa

Senior Cook
I made tagliatelle last week and it was rather fun. It was also extremely tasty with ragu alla Bolognese. I'd love ti make it again, but I am struggling to come up with any other sauces. Most sources I have suggest ragu alla Bolognese or "a rich meat sauce." Even Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Italian Cooking does not shed much more light on it.

Does anyone here have any suggestions of what can served with tagliatelle? Preferably authentic Italian for the immersion!

Just Google tagliatelle. The results are a multitude of sauces. I think the fresh corn pesto looks pretty darn good IMO.

Brown butter and sage sauce, or crushed sausage, aglio olio, and red pepper flakes are two of my "something different" sauces to go with good pasta.

Alfredo and carbonara...does that mean creamy sauces are a good pairing?

Also, does anyone know of any other meat sauces than the Bolognese ragu? The only other one I can think of is Marcella Hazan's chicken liver sauce.

I would argue "No". Creamy sauces are for smaller noodles, Fetuchini. Big noodles require Big Sauces! A big beef or Liver or Pork sauce is served on big noodles, the meat is usually serve separately as a Secondo.
Eric, Austin Tx.

Yes, when I've had this dish, I had a nice salad, then a huge plate of pasta with sauce, with wine and bread, and then when you think you can have no more.. here comes the Meat! Then when You Really think you can have no more, you get sliced fruit with cheese and a Port wine. It is very nice!
Eric, Austin Tx.

I would argue "No". Creamy sauces are for smaller noodles, Fetuchini. Big noodles require Big Sauces! A big beef or Liver or Pork sauce is served on big noodles, the meat is usually serve separately as a Secondo.
Eric, Austin Tx.

The Fettuccine and tagliatelle I buy are about the same width. I have made spinach tagliatelle alfredo and it was wonderful. You may be thinking of papardeli (sp) wide noodles.

Last edited:
List of sauces and 'dressings' for tagiatelle - Buttalapasta site, in italian:

If there's anything in this list that grabs you, let me know - I'll post the recipe-
The recipes are, as they say here, 'italianissi - but then they ARE italian 'Made in Italy DOC':

Swordfish and saffron
White Alba truffle and porcini mushrooms
Cauliflower
Aspargus
Rabbit ragù, rabbit sugo
Cream, porcini mushrooms and chestnuts
Sausage and cream
Cream, bacon cubes and peas
mussel sauce
Spinach and salmon
Saffron, lemon and Pecorino Sardo (Sardinian recipe)
Spinach and pumpkin
Baked tomato sauce, mushrooms and bacon cubes
Pesto alla Genovese and other pesto's
Baked with chick peas and mozzarella di bufala (Southern Italy and Sicily)
Green beans and mushrooms
capers and black olives
'Hay and Straw' tagliatelle, butter and grated parmesan (spinach and classic tagliatelle mix, hence 'hay and straw', serve usually with a sugo or a ragù

Interesting, eh? They're all simple to make, and pasta is the stand-by food when you're in a hurry or very hungry. Butta la Pasta means 'get the pasta on'

Hope the above list gives you inspiration to experiment and create your own sauce/dressing

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

If there's anything in this list that grabs you, let me know - I'll post the recipe-
The recipes are, as they say here, 'italianissi - but then they ARE italian 'Made in Italy DOC':

Swordfish and saffron
Cauliflower
Aspargus
Rabbit ragù, rabbit sugo
Sausage and cream
mussel sauce
Spinach and salmon
Spinach and pumpkin
capers and black olives
'Hay and Straw' tagliatelle, butter and grated parmesan (spinach and classic tagliatelle mix, hence 'hay and straw', serve usually with a sugo or a ragù

Interesting, eh? They're all simple to make, and pasta is the stand-by food when you're in a hurry or very hungry. Butta la Pasta means 'get the pasta on'

Hope the above list gives you inspiration to experiment and create your own sauce/dressing

di reston

Cream, chestnuts and mushroom looks amazing. As does spinach and salmon. Baked tomato sauce, too. Wow! What a list :D

Swordfish and saffron
Cauliflower
Aspargus
Rabbit ragù, rabbit sugo
Sausage and cream
mussel sauce
Spinach and salmon
Spinach and pumpkin
capers and black olives

di reston

Wow. As the saying goes, "Ask and ye shall receive."

Tagliatelle with mussel sauce recipe:

The recipe does specify tagiatelle, but spaghetti go equally well, in fact, the majority of fish based pasta recipes specify spaghetti, which should be of the thicker variety rather than the thinner ones. The sauce is also known as mussel sugo, in that some of the mussels are left whole and the smaller ones are chopped to give the dish a sauce consistency - very simple but very effective. You can also use frozen mussels - very handy.

For 4 people:

2Kg mussels in their shells, fresh or frozen
500g tomato pulp, carton or can
Fresh garlic to taste
Large handful of chopped freshly chopped parsley, and half a tablespoon of chopped fresh marjoram. Adjust quantities if you're using dried.
EVOO to taste, about 2 tbsp
Fresh tagliatelle or, if preferred, spaghetti.

If you're using fresh mussels, cleans and rinse them. If you're using frozen, they should be clean enough, but it's wise to check.
Pick out the larger mussels, discarding any that don't look healthy. Leave whole with shell.
Shell the remaining mussels and roughly chop the mussel meat.
Peel and crush the garlic and put in pan with the EVOO.Then add the tomato pulp and simmer for 15 mins. Then add the whole mussels together with the chopped ones. Now bring to the boil, stirring occasionally until the mussels are done. Finally add the parsley and marjoram, stir well, mix in the pasta and serve nice and hot.

Buon appetito!

di reston

Cream, chestnuts and mushroom looks amazing. As does spinach and salmon. Baked tomato sauce, too. Wow! What a list :D

So I would think a cream sauce such as alfredo or carbonara would be just fine.
To me pasta is pasta just long strands or shapes (macaroni). If I don't have a specific pasta I sub another of the same type. Examples spaghetti, fettuccine, tagliatelle or linguine for a long strand pasta. Or ziti or penne for shapes (macaroni). No matter the shape it all basically is the same recipe and taste to me. With the exception of an egg pasta.

But that's just me.

And some of the best recipes have been wonderful accidents. Caused by having to substitute for a missing ingredient.

Last edited:
Tagliatelle with mussel sauce recipe:

The recipe does specify tagiatelle, but spaghetti go equally well, in fact, the majority of fish based pasta recipes specify spaghetti, which should be of the thicker variety rather than the thinner ones. The sauce is also known as mussel sugo, in that some of the mussels are left whole and the smaller ones are chopped to give the dish a sauce consistency - very simple but very effective. You can also use frozen mussels - very handy.

For 4 people:

2Kg mussels in their shells, fresh or frozen
500g tomato pulp, carton or can
Fresh garlic to taste
Large handful of chopped freshly chopped parsley, and half a tablespoon of chopped fresh marjoram. Adjust quantities if you're using dried.
EVOO to taste, about 2 tbsp
Fresh tagliatelle or, if preferred, spaghetti.

If you're using fresh mussels, cleans and rinse them. If you're using frozen, they should be clean enough, but it's wise to check.
Pick out the larger mussels, discarding any that don't look healthy. Leave whole with shell.
Shell the remaining mussels and roughly chop the mussel meat.
Peel and crush the garlic and put in pan with the EVOO.Then add the tomato pulp and simmer for 15 mins. Then add the whole mussels together with the chopped ones. Now bring to the boil, stirring occasionally until the mussels are done. Finally add the parsley and marjoram, stir well, mix in the pasta and serve nice and hot.

Buon appetito!

di reston

Grazie mille! :chef:

"To me pasta is pasta just long strands or shapes (macaroni). If I don't have a specific pasta I sub another of the same type. Examples spaghetti, fettuccine, tagliatelle or linguine for a long strand pasta. Or ziti or penne for shapes (macaroni). No matter the shape it all basically is the same recipe and taste to me. With the exception of an egg pasta."

I "heard" somewhere it is different..The shape of the pasta actually Defines the dish.If you walk into a Tratorria in Italy, and you simply order Spaghetti. 99% of the time the Sauce will be Aglio y Olio. oil and spices. if you order Fetuccini, the sauce will most likely be seafood and cream. If you order Bucatoni, it will be a Baked pasta dish.
I've never been to Itally, but I think I saw this on Malto Mario TV. Eric, Austin Tx.

Back
Top Bottom