"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-07-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
Head Chef

Best fried rice I've ever had

I have never liked fried rice, whether restaurant/takeout or homemade, but DH loves it. So, I was looking at recipes to see if I could find one I might like when I came across one that 4.9 out of 5 stars. Checked out the reviews, made notes on the little changes people made and came up with the following for the first time we made it. After I post the basic recipe, I'll note the changes we made the second time.

3/4 pound leftover cooked pork, cubed (you could use raw, just prep it and marinate it like the chicken below)
1/3 cup vegetable oil (divided)
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 tablespoon finely diced ginger
1 tbls finely minced garlic
1 shredded carrot
2 teaspoons white sugar
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce, can add up to another tbsp but was good with this amount, can also use 1/2 tbsp hoisin and 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce, or just add in some oyster sauce
2 tablespoons light soy sauce or tamari
2 tsp'ish chili garlic oil (or other hot sauce like sriracha) to your taste
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
4 cups jasmine rice, cooked
2/3 cup finely sliced spring onions (scallions)

Heat half the oil in a hot wok until surface seems to shimmer slightly. Pour beaten eggs into wok and leave to cook on the base of the wok for 10 seconds before folding egg mixture over onto itself with a spatula and lightly scrambling for about 1 minute or until almost cooked through. Carefully remove omelette from wok with a spatula and drain on kitchen paper. Set aside. I cut it up a bit to make it easier at the end.

Heat remaining oil in hot wok and stir-fry onion, garlic, ginger and carrots for 30 seconds. Add sugar and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Toss in rice, cubed pork pieces and reserved omelette and stir-fry, using a spatula to break up the egg into smaller pieces, for 1 minute. Lastly, add spring onions and stir-fry for a further 30 seconds or until well combined and rice is heated through.

I like to drizzle mine with a bit of sesame oil right before serving.

For special fried rice, this is what we did.

For special fried rice, in addition to above, I added about another cup or so of rice and increased all the above liquid ingredients by about 1/2.

1/2 of a small red bell, diced
15 or 16 shitake mushrooms, stemmed, then caps halved or quartered depending on size
1/2 can baby corn, rinsed, drained and then cut up
6 or 7 large shrimp, diced
1 chicken thigh cut in small pieces (1/4" ish) then marinated in a bit of tamari, hoisin, just a touch of sesame oil and some minced ginger for 20 minutes at least.

Proceed with first paragraph instructions as is. Then,

Heat remaining oil in hot wok and stir-fry onion, garlic, ginger, carrots, red bell, mushrooms for 30 seconds. Add sugar and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Stir in chicken, stir fry for 30 seconds, stir in shrimp, stir for about 15 seconds. Stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Toss in rice, cubed pork pieces, baby corn and reserved omelette and stir-fry, using a spatula to break up the egg into smaller pieces, for 1 minute. Lastly, add spring onions and stir-fry for a further 30 seconds or until well combined and rice is heated through.

I like to drizzle mine with a bit of sesame oil right before serving.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #2
Head Chef

Obviously, you MUST have everything prepped, measured out and ready to go before you start cooking. I CANNOT emphasize this enough.

Old 05-07-2016, 02:12 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Obviously, you MUST have everything prepped, measured out and ready to go before you start cooking. I CANNOT emphasize this enough.
Absolutely. I also put ingredients that go in at the same time together into little bowls or piles on my cutting board, to make it easier and quicker to add. Asian cooking goes very quickly!

Sounds like a delicious dish, medtran
Old 05-07-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Absolutely. I also put ingredients that go in at the same time together into little bowls or piles on my cutting board, to make it easier and quicker to add. Asian cooking goes very quickly!

Sounds like a delicious dish, medtran
Yes, and I line them up in recipe order and just go right down the line as I'm cooking.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Yes, and I line them up in recipe order and just go right down the line as I'm cooking.
So do I, for baking and for cooking
Old 05-07-2016, 04:44 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Best fried rice I've ever had

That looks yumtious, Med! I love fried rice!
Old 05-07-2016, 06:49 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Yes, homemade fried rice is indeed better than restaurant FR. And you both created a good recipe. I use my egg pan for the egg pancake as I feel I have better control making it.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:08 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Another one I need to save. I love good fried rice when it's good. This looks very good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #9
Head Chef

This IS really good. I never, I mean NEVER, like fried rice but I love this one and could eat it every week. We've had this dish in 2 different variations in 3 weeks. I even asked to have it on the menu list this time and that says something because I almost never will agree to getting Chinese since about all I liked previously was honey garlic chicken with white rice and that gets old after a while. It will be going into our definite make again rotation dishes. I almost like it as much as I like bibimpap, and I LUUVVV bibimpap. You can even make it vegetarian/vegan if you want, just omit the animal proteins and add more vege. Hope anybody that makes it loves it as much as we do. Best thing about it is, cooking goes really fast. Takes a bit of time for the prep, but no more than you'd wait for takeout, even less if there are 2 of you working on it, and you know exactly what's going into it.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:14 PM   #10
Master Chef

Thanks so much Med. Copied and Pasted!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken, pork, recipe, rice, shrimp, vege

Best fried rice I've ever had I have never liked fried rice, whether restaurant/takeout or homemade, but DH loves it. So, I was looking at recipes to see if I could find one I might like when I came across one that 4.9 out of 5 stars. Checked out the reviews, made notes on the little changes people made and came up with the following for the first time we made it. After I post the basic recipe, I'll note the changes we made the second time. 3/4 pound leftover cooked pork, cubed (you could use raw, just prep it and marinate it like the chicken below) 1/3 cup vegetable oil (divided) 4 eggs, lightly beaten 1 small red onion, finely diced 1 tablespoon finely diced ginger 1 tbls finely minced garlic 1 shredded carrot 2 teaspoons white sugar 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce, can add up to another tbsp but was good with this amount, can also use 1/2 tbsp hoisin and 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce, or just add in some oyster sauce 2 tablespoons light soy sauce or tamari 2 tsp'ish chili garlic oil (or other hot sauce like sriracha) to your taste 1 tablespoon rice vinegar 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil 4 cups jasmine rice, cooked 2/3 cup finely sliced spring onions (scallions) Heat half the oil in a hot wok until surface seems to shimmer slightly. Pour beaten eggs into wok and leave to cook on the base of the wok for 10 seconds before folding egg mixture over onto itself with a spatula and lightly scrambling for about 1 minute or until almost cooked through. Carefully remove omelette from wok with a spatula and drain on kitchen paper. Set aside. I cut it up a bit to make it easier at the end. Heat remaining oil in hot wok and stir-fry onion, garlic, ginger and carrots for 30 seconds. Add sugar and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Toss in rice, cubed pork pieces and reserved omelette and stir-fry, using a spatula to break up the egg into smaller pieces, for 1 minute. Lastly, add spring onions and stir-fry for a further 30 seconds or until well combined and rice is heated through. I like to drizzle mine with a bit of sesame oil right before serving. For special fried rice, this is what we did. [IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/37240-albums1042-picture6422.jpg[/IMG] For special fried rice, in addition to above, I added about another cup or so of rice and [B]increased[/B] all the above liquid ingredients by about 1/2. 1/2 of a small red bell, diced 15 or 16 shitake mushrooms, stemmed, then caps halved or quartered depending on size 1/2 can baby corn, rinsed, drained and then cut up 6 or 7 large shrimp, diced 1 chicken thigh cut in small pieces (1/4" ish) then marinated in a bit of tamari, hoisin, just a touch of sesame oil and some minced ginger for 20 minutes at least. Proceed with first paragraph instructions as is. Then, Heat remaining oil in hot wok and stir-fry onion, garlic, ginger, carrots, red bell, mushrooms for 30 seconds. Add sugar and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Stir in chicken, stir fry for 30 seconds, stir in shrimp, stir for about 15 seconds. Stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Toss in rice, cubed pork pieces, baby corn and reserved omelette and stir-fry, using a spatula to break up the egg into smaller pieces, for 1 minute. Lastly, add spring onions and stir-fry for a further 30 seconds or until well combined and rice is heated through. I like to drizzle mine with a bit of sesame oil right before serving. [IMG]http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/37240-albums1042-picture6423.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews