Cochinita Pibil: Leaf substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suthseaxa

Senior Cook
Can anyone suggest a good substitute for banana leaves in cochinita pibil? Not something I can get :( I did think foil, but then I'm concerned the acids will react with the aluminium during the long cooking time.

Aluminum foil shouldn't be a problem. Can you get grape leaves? You might have to use lots of them and probably need to double wrap, but the should work. You can get achiote and sour orange juice?

It needs to be kept closed while cooking, not sure I'd trust just parchment with a long cooking time.

Aluminum foil shouldn't be a problem. Can you get grape leaves? You might have to use lots of them and probably need to double wrap, but the should work. You can get achiote and sour orange juice?

I've not made cochinita pibil, but I've seen it made by chef Rick Bayless. He uses pork shoulder, which is very forgiving. I think that if you get the herbs and spices right, the banana leaf wrapper will not be a big deal. I don't think the banana leaves do much, if anything, for flavor. It seems to be more for the steaming process. I think you could use parchment paper and get good results.

CD

Last edited:
They have them in the freezer case in regular markets here with other "ethnic" foods.

Back
Top Bottom