"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-18-2006, 09:25 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
Last time I was there, I suggested to the Mgr that it would be nice for them to have a cooking class there so we could learn what to do with all the interesting food. He said, "I'm glad you enjoy. Please come back soon".
I'm still giggling about this!

If only I had a nickle for everytime I've done something -- whatever -- that according to my cultural background made perfect sense ... and the response had the same sound as one hand clapping. Your suggestion probably not only makes sense to a whole bunch of us reading, but actually sounds brilliant. But it sounds like the manager either didn't understand or simply can't "compute" the idea of a valuable development idea being handed to him thus.

Pursue it anyways? Lord knows if I were in Atlanta and such a thing came to be, I'd be there in a flash. After all, the people cooking wouldn't have to speak English, they'd just have to demonstrate, right?

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2006, 09:35 AM   #12
Executive Chef

aryton, I'm so glad you understand. I'm trying soooo hard.

Jean, Do you google 'Chinese' veggies to find pics of the vegetable?

Last week I picked up a styrofoam container with Octopus slices in it. I went to the men behind the counter and asked them what to do with it. They signed that it was ready to eat so I've been snacking on them. They are really chewy, salty and of course taste like octopus. That was a great new snack find! It's softer than octopus jerky (lol) but is obviously dried a bit.

I picked up a bag of seaweed and the pics on the back showed 4 suggestions to serve. It has a picture of a bowl and it says "Bibim rice", a pic of a frying pan and says 'Toasting', a bowl with "salad with vinegar' and some type of pan/bowl that says 'Soy Bean Paste Soup'. I was asking at checkout how to make the salad, "did the seaweed need to be cooked etc'. The checkout girl brought the best English speaking person over and I pointed and asked how to make the salad. Her English was poor but I thought we could communicate some. Roflmao, she wouldn't give give me any ideas on the salad, she kept pointing at the pic of toasting while indicating that this was the way to eat it. She liked it toasted, no make salad, toast, toast toast.

Jean, this is what happened when I tried to communicate with the mgr:

[quote]: Last time I was there, I suggested to the Mgr that it would be nice for them to have a cooking class there so we could learn what to do with all the interesting food. He said, "I'm glad you enjoy. Please come back soon".[quote]

I need to find a Chinese friend!

Old 09-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I also live very close to an ethnic quarter of Rome, and regularly walk over to the market there, where you can find not only fresh produces but also many interesting exotic items. Many of the vendors are capable of understanding and speaking at least some Italian or English, and some of them can explain to us how they are used for cooking, serving suggestions etc., which is great. If we can't communicate with them very well, we usually try to get the name of the items which we are interested at least (if all else fails, we would have them write it down), and then we do some google search to get the info at home. It is always interesting and enlightening to discover and try something new from far away places
Old 09-18-2006, 11:29 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I have Middle Eastern markets within an hour. When you step into them, the smells are strong and fantastic. .
Where? [drooling...] Watertown?
Old 09-18-2006, 01:33 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Yes, Watertown. There is a huge Armenian community there and the markets cater to them. I go there periodically to stock up.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:02 AM   #16
Senior Cook

aha, half baked ,if you give me more clue or pics ,maybe i can give you some useful answer.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:08 AM   #17
Master Chef

Houston has several large Asian/Vietnamese grocery stores as well as Indian/Pakistani. My head always swims when I go in as I don't know what to buy first----and you're right, AndyM., they are considerably cheaper than the big chains and usually you can find better brands than Kikkoman. I once took a friend and she picked out what she thought was a package of bright red paper lantern designs. Upon check-out the clerk spoke a little English and as we stuck out like sore thumbs in a sea of Asian regulars she wanted to know what we were buying that for. When my friend told her the clerk started laughing and said that it was really a paper shroud that they put over their dearly departed ones. So I guess you can buy just about anything in those treasure troves!! LOL!!

Tags
None