"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 11-09-2010, 11:47 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, you had to start.

kuh-beck-wah-zee?

kuh-beck-waz?

kwah-beck-wah?

keh beh kwahz (female Quebecker)

I guess the "eh" is like the "eh" in "I'm Canadian, eh."

Old 11-09-2010, 11:56 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, thanks. i know very little fronch.

i've played hockey with french speaking guys, and i never really needed to learn anything more than gauche and droite. they still cursed in english.

moo-thair fook-aire.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:21 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
lol, thanks. i know very little fronch.

i've played hockey with french speaking guys, and i never really needed to learn anything more than gauche and droite. they still cursed in english.

moo-thair fook-aire.
Actually most Quebec swearing is church related - words like chalice and host.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:27 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, i guess so. like the famous sacre bleu, or sacre dieu.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:56 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
moo-thair fook-aire.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #16
Master Chef

Since I'm getting ready to make my annual tourtiere, I'm chiming in (yet again) here. I have three younger sisters. Last holiday season one called and asked for my recipe for tourtiere (by the way, when I was a kid, and illiterate in Quebecoise French, I thought my relatives were saying "toot-care"). So I walked her through it on the phone. This year my "baby" sis emailed me, and I gave her my basics for making it. She was making it for, I think, a buffet meal that was to have ethnic background. She wrote me that it was a huge hit. Meat pies have fallen away the side in this country, so they are sort of a novelty; but tourtiere goes on a buffet line so darned well. In my family, everyone wants "Claire's" tourtiere.

Last night I mentioned that I'm getting ready to make my annual tourtiere when we were out to dinner. Now, in my childhood, it was made it for a late night (actually early a.m.) meal after midnight mass. Now I save it for a sort of brunch meal, any time during the holidays. When I mentioned it (to my definitely NOT Quebecoise friends) last night (That is to say Christmas eve), that I was making it sometime during the holiday season, thinking maybe New Years Day or soon after (2nd maybe, rather than 1st), they immediately hopped on board. So I guess it's become a hit here as well. At least among my friends. And I brought the tradition back single handedly to my family.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:45 AM   #17
Master Chef

Actually, one time I said "kwuh-bek" to my friend's French (as in France-French, not Canadienne French) mother. She took me to task. "Claire, you can say that better, I know you can!!!" Ugh! I just laughed and corrected myself! DO any of you ever take to pronouncing something incorrectly just because you want to make yourself understood? Or, in some cases, if you say it correctly, people think you're putting on airs? I know my parents will pronounce certain words if they're speaking in French differently than they will if they're speaking to people who are not of Canuck background. In other words, "Kwebeck" if they're speaking to someone who speaks only American English, but "Kebeck" if it is a relative.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Claire, thanks for the reminder. I really should make some. I usually make three at once. My pie crust recipe makes three double crusts with one lb. of lard. That stuff is so tasty.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Actually, one time I said "kwuh-bek" to my friend's French (as in France-French, not Canadienne French) mother. She took me to task. "Claire, you can say that better, I know you can!!!" Ugh! I just laughed and corrected myself! DO any of you ever take to pronouncing something incorrectly just because you want to make yourself understood? Or, in some cases, if you say it correctly, people think you're putting on airs? I know my parents will pronounce certain words if they're speaking in French differently than they will if they're speaking to people who are not of Canuck background. In other words, "Kwebeck" if they're speaking to someone who speaks only American English, but "Kebeck" if it is a relative.
Definitely. I'm deep in the south. We speak a lot of what you'd call sloppy language. Mostly on purpose. Lots of double negatives, aint's etc. I have never had much of an accent, probably because my Mother was from Maine, but didn't have an accent, my Daddy was from Raleigh. Lots of twang there, but I learned to talk in Arizona. I can turn southern on anytime I like. Depending on who you are speaking to, it's just kind of friendly sounding.

Here in New Orleans, the patois is very difficult to understand, especially when so many speak like they have a mouth full of grits.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I get to have some at my mother's house tomorrow. We are French Canadian and she makes it every year. She usually serves it on Boxing Day as an addition to Christmas turkey leftovers. I like to have it with a green tomato relish we call "green chow". Chase it down with an ice cold beer. I likey!
Roch

Tags
None