"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 05-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Baked French toast

If I make a whole pan up of the baked French toast, could I freeze it into individual servings?

Old 05-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I don't see why not. Wrap it well. I do this with cereal bars, casseroles, and egg McMuffin type things all the time.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

We do it all the time.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Oh good. I made it for the first time the other day when I had friends over. Minus the syrup, yuck, I don't like that stuff but anyhow, I could make it up and freeze it so work nights won't have to be a chore to get ready for.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:54 AM   #5
Master Chef

If you want to make the full pan so you have extra to freeze the previous suggestions would work. If you're just trying to make a smaller portion I have a great recipe. It's lighter than a full-pan size I made (then again, that was a slimmed down "Paula Deen before Diabetes" recipe and it was still too rich) and instead of a filled pan you do individual slices on a cookie sheet. And boy-oh-boy was it good! I even made the berry sauce, but used only one bag and just 1 T. of sugar (cut the sugar-to-berries in half). This one worked up quicker too. I used the best Challah bread I know of (too bad the diner is 90 miles from my house or I'd buy it more often...) instead of the French bread.

From "Taste of Home": Makeover Overnight French Toast
Old 05-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Even though I love bread I don't get a lot of different kinds since it would go bad so I try to stick with this kind of bread.... Stroehmann - Maier's Premium Italian

That's what I used in place of the French bread that my recipe called for. This is the recipe I used.....

1 Lb loaf French bread, cubed (I used my Italian bread though)

8oz cream cheese, cubed

8 eggs

2 1/2 cups milk (I used 2%)

3/4 cup sugar

6 TBS melted butter

1/4 cup maple syrup (I skipped this & used cinnamon)

1. Spray 13X9 glass baking dish with cooking spray. Place half the bread in dish; sprinkle with cream cheese. Top with remaining bread.

2. Whisk all ingredients in large bowl; pour over bread, pressing on bread with a spatula to soak up egg mixture. Cover & refrigerate overnight.

3. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes or until lightly browned.

* my review* It was pretty good but I think next time I want to try and melt the cream cheese, if that's possible.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:16 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
If you want to make the full pan so you have extra to freeze the previous suggestions would work. If you're just trying to make a smaller portion I have a great recipe. It's lighter than a full-pan size I made (then again, that was a slimmed down "Paula Deen before Diabetes" recipe and it was still too rich) and instead of a filled pan you do individual slices on a cookie sheet. And boy-oh-boy was it good! I even made the berry sauce, but used only one bag and just 1 T. of sugar (cut the sugar-to-berries in half). This one worked up quicker too. I used the best Challah bread I know of (too bad the diner is 90 miles from my house or I'd buy it more often...) instead of the French bread.

From "Taste of Home": Makeover Overnight French Toast
Your recipe sounds good also but I refuse to buy that fake eggs substitute stuff. Do you think I could sub milk or something else for it? I also wouldn't make the berry sauce, I'm not too crazy for fruit sauces unless it's over cheese cake.

This recipe with a nicer bread may be something I could make for our monthly cookouts up at the camper. We start off with breakfast & just picnic all day long with people coming and going the whole day. Each person brings a few things to share with everyone.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoymatey2013 View Post
Your recipe sounds good also but I refuse to buy that fake eggs substitute stuff. Do you think I could sub milk or something else for it?...
I actually used real eggs when I made it. I suppose if you want to limit cholesterol you could toss the yolks and double up on the whites, although I think current research says that the cholesterol in eggs isn't bad. Wait till next week though!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #9
Senior Cook

I eat eggs almost everyday & I eat cheese everyday. I try not to listen to those food studies too much except for the GMO news, that's one area that scares me. I am diabetic but I try to moderate my intake of sugar & carbs but it's hard. I also refuse to eat those sugar substitutes.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoymatey2013 View Post
Your recipe sounds good also but I refuse to buy that fake eggs substitute stuff. Do you think I could sub milk or something else for it? I also wouldn't make the berry sauce, I'm not too crazy for fruit sauces unless it's over cheese cake.

This recipe with a nicer bread may be something I could make for our monthly cookouts up at the camper. We start off with breakfast & just picnic all day long with people coming and going the whole day. Each person brings a few things to share with everyone.
1/4 cup of egg substitute equals 1 egg...

Tags
None