"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 09-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #31
Head Chef

Yes, I was talking about eating hot boiled eggs, when I make hardboiled eggs I use fresh ones too though. I think it might be pschological, but I like fresh eggs!

These guys in the picture are the current layers, obviously, they were chicks here! the boy is almost two foot now....Gregory Peck and his girlfriends...Ginger Rodgers, Hedy Lamarr, Claudette, Joan Crawford & Zeppa (she was, we though Zeppo).

Fresh, grass rich eggs are something else!
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass
I like mine cooked in a pan with butter, over easy (firm white, runny yolk) with toasted bagels or English muffins for dipping.
Yum !

Sounds perfect (although, I do like the versatility of the egg... and the egg's 'source' for that matter).

Old 09-06-2006, 12:11 PM   #33
Master Chef

I really can't believe there are 4 pages on this. If hard-boiling eggs was the major production some of you make it, I'd never use them - lol!!!

I put my eggs into a saucepan with cold water to cover & bring them just to a boil. I reduce the heat to a simmer & cook them for 1-2 minutes (1 minute for 1-2 eggs; 2 minutes for multiple eggs). I then turn off the heat, cover the pan, & leave them for 15 minutes.

What do I end up with? Perfectly hard-cooked eggs with no green-ringed yolks or rubbery whites. Go figure.

Sorry - can't understand what the big problem is.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
How cute Lulu!
Yep, fresh is best.
We only have two laying right now but.. the other two are just about laying age. Can't wait to have four farm fresh eggs every morning.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #35
Head Chef

When I was growing up we had about anywhere from 20-30 chickens. I hated them then. My brother and I had to collect eggs and clean the chicken coop. Not fun in the winter. Maybe that is why I never liked eggs much till I left home.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:47 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
VA... I'd much rather clean our chickens in the winter. It smells a lot less. Then again we only have four ( had five but my youngest cutest sweetest one died Saturday).
Old 09-06-2006, 03:55 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
VA... I'd much rather clean our chickens in the winter. It smells a lot less. Then again we only have four ( had five but my youngest cutest sweetest one died Saturday).
Sorry to hear that! You mean you'd rather clean the chicken coop in the winter? That was the worst because the floor would be a wet mix of hay and droppings. Not fun! I would also wait too long and it was very heavy (uphill both to the compost pile and back!).
Old 09-06-2006, 05:19 PM   #38
Senior Cook

It all depends

What an interesting thread!

It would all seem to depend on:

The initial temperature of the eggs.
The size of the eggs.
The initial temperature of the water
How much water (how big a pan)
The rate of heating (how hot a burner/electric element)
The time to get to 212 (or whatever temp. the water boils at - I wonder how long it takes at 10,000 ft?)

Everyone probably gets varying results, and modifies their technique until they are acceptable.

On our latest smooth top (small size element)
Using a small saucepan that holds 7 large eggs
eggs at refrigerator temp.
water at 55 to 60 tap temperature.
Perfection is: bring to a boil, boil 4 minutes, rest 20 minutes covered, and cool in tap water to stop the cooking.

My wife boils for 5 minutes, and rests for 10. She claims I'm all wrong, of course
Old 09-06-2006, 06:25 PM   #39
Head Chef

Lots of great discussion here about a simple process.
Kinda reminds me about the different methods we use to cook rice!
For hard boiled eggs, I put cold eggs (usually a week old) into a pot of cold water (to cover), bring them to a simmer, cover with a lid, take them off the heat and set for 17 minutes. Drain the hot water, cover with cold water to stop cooking, crack and peel under cold running water. Yokes are always yellow, whites are nice and firm and no nasty smell
Old 09-06-2006, 06:55 PM   #40
Master Chef

Oh yes - you definitely need slightly "aged" eggs if you want to be able to peel them without removing half the egg with the shell.

When I used to raise my own chickens, I always kept some apart in a dated carton in the fridge specifically for hardboiling. Wouldn't even think of boiling them for at least a week and a half to two weeks. You really need that increased interior air space for neat & easy peeling.

Tags
None