"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs Everytime

Easy way to cook hardboiled eggs and have them cook perfectly everytime. Place your eggs in a sauce pan and cover eggs with cold water. Be sure not to over crowd eggs in pan. After you cover tops of eggs with cold water put pan on stove on high heat. Bring water to a boil and remove from heat. Cover the pan and allow to sit for 15-20 minutes. You will now have perfect hard boil eggs. Now you just have to carefully peel the shells off.

They are great for breakfast, in salads, for snacks, deviled eggs and of course egg salad.

Hope this helped.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

that is how i cook them also. put in ice water bath when they are done. this will make them easier to peel. a hint for peeling, crack a bit. then turn teaspoon upside down. put between peel and egg and off it comes. i think someone here said to do that. very cool.specially if you have a lot to peel.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

That's how I cook eggs as well. If I don't need them to be pretty for deviled eggs, I will take my big chef's knife and chop them in half through the shell, then take a spoon and slide it under the shell, the egg usually just pops out.

You would think that the knife method would shatter shell all over, but it works quite well, very little shell debris to deal with! I got this tip from Martha Stewart.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Master Chef

15-20 minutes? Why? Brings the eggs to boil, boil for 3-4 minutes, done. Works perfect every time.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMillerThyme View Post
Easy way to cook hardboiled eggs and have them cook perfectly everytime. Place your eggs in a sauce pan and cover eggs with cold water. Be sure not to over crowd eggs in pan. After you cover tops of eggs with cold water put pan on stove on high heat. Bring water to a boil and remove from heat. Cover the pan and allow to sit for 15-20 minutes. You will now have perfect hard boil eggs. Now you just have to carefully peel the shells off.

They are great for breakfast, in salads, for snacks, deviled eggs and of course egg salad.

Hope this helped.
What you have described is NOT "boiled" eggs. And that's the secret to hard-COOKED eggs. Don't boil them. Bring the water they're in to a rolling boil, then turn off the heat and let the eggs (essentially) steam in the water.

Then run cold water into the pan until all the water (and the eggs) are cold.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Master Chef

While that's definitely true June, it's really just semantics.

Whether or not you say "hard-boiled eggs" or "hard-cooked eggs", it means the exact same thing to the majority populace.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Head Chef

The reason I cook it this way instead of just boiling them for 3 or 4 minutes is that this method is rather fool-proof, getting great results every time, no worry about over cooking the eggs.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
Master Chef

Oh - absolutely no problem with the cooking method - I do them that way myself.

I just don't see a reason to make a frou-frou about whether they're called "boiled" eggs or "hard-cooked" eggs. June seems to have a problem with the nomenclature.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
Head Chef

yep, I wasn't addressing that at all!!!!! ;) Just commenting why I don't just boil them for 3-4 minutes like another poster suggested.
and I call them hard-boiled, too!

Old 06-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
The reason I cook it this way instead of just boiling them for 3 or 4 minutes is that this method is rather fool-proof, getting great results every time, no worry about over cooking the eggs.
That is pretty much the same reason that I cook them this way, foolproof. No gray ring around the yolks, no worry about dried up rubbery eggs. You can do other things while they cook.

Tags
hard boiled eggs, how to hard boil eggs, hurt feelings, perfect cooked eggs, snarky comments