"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 12-14-2006, 11:02 AM   #21
Master Chef

I knew it, I knew we'll finally find a coming ground, Breezy, and finaly here it is I completely agree with you on this one, yeah!

Old 12-14-2006, 11:20 AM   #22
Sous Chef

Cast iron benefits especially from having greasy things cooked in it--fried chicken, bacon, etc. It adds to the seasoning. If you have a pan "dedicated" to cooking eggs, a non-stick would be the top candidate--and it still benefits from a skosh of oil/grease.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:25 AM   #23
Master Chef

LOL!!!! You're too funny CharlieD. It must be the spirit of the season that's brought our minds together - LOL!!!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #24
Master Chef

But getting back to eggs & cast iron - it just occurred to me that the only time I've ever used my cast-iron pan to cook eggs was for making "Dumplings & Eggs", using leftover Czech bread dumplings from another meal. The cast iron definitely gives the dumpling chunks a crispy exterior that really can't be accomplished in anything else.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:02 PM   #25
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
I crack them in a bowl and add a little milk and water. I then scramble them in the bowl with a fork and put them on the pan right away, and I scramble them again when the eggs get a little warmer on the pan
Old 12-14-2006, 03:23 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboenomo
... and add a little milk and water ...
That is counter productive one cansels the other. There was a whole thread on milk and water here, look it up.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:21 AM   #27
Head Chef

You could have a profitable restaurant serving only scramble eggs: easy scramble, hard scramble, scrabble scramble, scrappie scramble, kiss n' scramble. The possibilities are endless. (porker pot scramble, vegably delicious).
Old 12-15-2006, 05:55 AM   #28
Sous Chef

Adding just a little water helps the eggs get smooth--all the white incorporated. But adding milk makes a watery scramble. My parents did that--and I, of course, thought that was what it should be.
The water is (for my experience) is how a good omelette is attained so it should be good for the scramble also!!
Old 12-15-2006, 09:13 AM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

You can use either milk or water and not have watery eggs. Watery scrambled eggs usually are the result of over cooking. The heat causes the proteins to shrink, squeezing out the water trapped within.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:55 AM   #30
Senior Cook

I also have a cast iron skillet and love it (though I have never thought of using it to make eggs). It is especially great for fried chicken and for making corn bread. This skillet came from my grandmother to my mother and now to me. I plan to pass it to one of my kids eventually.

Tags
None