"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy
Old 05-08-2004, 10:19 PM   #31
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Linaka
Get a rice cooker---perfect rice everytime......Linaka
My daughter had one when she lived with me, and it was awful!

Jovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 10:48 PM   #32
Traveling Welcome Wagon
With electric you can save yourself a lot of trouble just by turning it off as soon as you cover it and let it sit on the burner for 20 minutes. I had always cooked rice on a gas stove, but I kept messing it up when I ended up with an electric stove. A friend told me how to do it, and I have gotten perfect rice every time since.

:) Barbara

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:19 PM   #33
Head Chef
Jovin.,..found this in another thread on eggs.....from an eggspert!

Originally Posted by geraldine
Eggs in general keep a lot longer than most people think they do. The egg, like the uterus, is a steril field. If it wasn't we wouldn't be able to have baby chicks. Eggs can keep one heck of a looooooong time iwithout refrigeration if kept in a cool, dark invironment. Heat and light will cause them to go off a lot quicker.

The white being high and tight is not always an indication of freshnesh because refrigeration causes the white to loose it's structure and break down a bit.

A good way to tell just how fresh an egg is is how easily it peels when hard boiled. As an egg sits, a gas developes between the shell and the membrain around the egg. This gas allows for easy peeling. My own eggs laid by my own hens have to sit for at least a month before they will peel when hardboiled.

And hay, it makes no difference whether the eggs are cool or room tempreature, whether the water is warm or cold, whether you put vinager in the water, whether or not you let them sit in the hot water after poiling or whether you put them into cold water after boiling; a really fresh egg will not peel properly.

Something that sometimes helps however is, after boiling, run under cold water until they are cool enough to handle, then crack the shells all around and leave the eggs sit in cold water for about an hour. Some water will seep in between the cracks and sometimes this helps to loosten the shells.

Good luck.
Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Oregon native transplanted to Chicago....
lindatooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 06:32 PM   #34
Assistant Cook
I am no less perturbed than the rest of you folks out there trying to hard boil eggs. I suspect that the degree of difficulty each is experiencing is roughly proportional to his/her altitude. We are at 5,000 Ft above sea level -- very poor hardboil results -- yuk ! But I believe that I may have found an answer, at least to one component of the problem.

My theory is that the boiling water is not getting hot enough -- the temperature at which pure water boils is inversely related to the altitude at which one is cooking (See high-altitude cooking). To prove this theory (that the water is not hot enough), I added as much salt as the hot water would dissolve (this raises the boiling point markedly) -- and presto, I got an (almost) perfectly shelled hardboiled egg. Since it was (almost), there must be more devilment at work here, but at least this is a step forward -- provided I and someone else can repeat the experiment with the same result. Perhaps it works even better at sea level.
allenwoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:51 PM   #35
Senior Cook
I think...but am not sure... that boiling temp at your altitude is only 207 degrees. That being the case, wouldn't extending the cooking time work?
"The odds of my being correct on any given issue are inversely proportionate to the proximity of my wife" BubbaGourmet
BubbaGourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:50 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

That sounds plausible, but that has not been our experience. What I need to do is a controlled experiment, and I will, one day. The thing is, we had similar problems at 750 Ft, just not quite as bad. Next batch, I will try cooking longer, no salt.

There simply has to be a way -- I do not recall having such problems in the kitchen as I was growing up -- what has happened ?

One thing for sure -- there is presently no consensus on this subject.

allenwoll is offline   Reply With Quote