"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 08-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I like very little sauce in mine...I've always made it pizza-ish. Then I dip my calzone into some sauce. I love mine with mozzarella, sausage/ham and fried onions and peppers. Many times it's all veggies.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:21 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcotton
What about using puff pastry for this? or, what is that layered dough? How about using that?
You can use any dough you like, but it won't necessarily be a calzone. As for phyllo dough, go for it. Way more work, but the flavour will be great, especially with all that butter between the layers.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #13
Senior Cook

how big are calzones usually?

i made 2 yesterday. sausage and pepper with mozzarella and a chicken with pizza sauce and mozzarella. they were so good. i baked at 350 until it started to brown a little then turned the temp up to 450 so it will brown faster and the result i got was nice & soft. thank you all for the instructions. i dont recall seeing what a calzone looks like, i'm sure i have but cant remember. this was sort of like the sausage/pepperoni roll i was talking about on my other post but the difference is that the calzone is sealed all around except for the vent holes and with the sausage/pepperoni rolls the filling is exposed on the ends.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:45 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

My calzones come out pretty large. Because of your post yesterday you got me in the mood for one so that is what I made for dinner. My one calzone fed myself, my wife, our baby (who has a pretty good appetite) with quite a bit leftover. You can really make then any size you want though. Mine are just exceptionally large.

Here is a picture I found online so you can see what they usually look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5012_calzone.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	1703  
Old 08-09-2006, 10:03 AM   #15
Senior Cook

thanks for the pic. what i did was roll out my dough like a rectangle, almost a square and fill the middle then pull the sides over to the middle & overlap on top to seal and roll the 2 ends to seal, it looked like a roll. this is why i was a bit confused. thanks again for the pic. i do like the way i did mine though. mine were also large. maybe about 8 or 9'' long and about 3-4'' thick.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:05 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

No matter what the shape, it sounds like the same thing. I bet it was delicious!
Old 08-09-2006, 10:16 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

I have made a rectangular calzone before. I got the idea from an Italian bakery/Deli that made them that way.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:05 AM   #18
Master Chef

I buy the refrigerated pizza dough for convenience, and one can makes a calzone just right for my husband and me to share, with a bit left for my lunch the next day.
I have a piece of leftover steak that I'm thinking of using as a filling for a Philly Cheesesteak Calzone. I thought I'd slice the meat in thin strips, and top with caramelized onions (and peppers?) and cheese. I also have a half a baked potato left, but I don't know how that would taste in with the other stuff.
What do you think?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:07 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

I think it would taste great Constance!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:27 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Wow GB... that looks like a serious Calzone, the image is making me hungry... the place we will be staying at in the Alps (where we are heading to within a couple of days) have a real wood burning oven, free for us to use. We will be doing some pizza for sure, making some extra doughs for Calzone sounds like a winning idea... probably will make a great lunch while we are hiking in the mountains

Tags
None