"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 09-24-2007, 01:02 PM   #11
Head Chef

In Indian cuisine there is a recipe called Shahi Tukre (Royal Bites) that is made with bread and milk and then embellished with ricotta cheese and nuts and spices. It is interesting how simple ingredients like milk and bread can turn into gourmet dessert.

It's not as simple as what Uncle Bob listed but here is a general recipe. Next time you have left over bread and milk you can give it a try. You will also need a few more ingredients to make it authentic like saffron and cardamom which for me are basic pantry staples but may not be for everyone. Youc an also experiment with other flavors:

Milk - Cook it down until it reduces to a quarter in volume (regular milk boiled down by stirring until it's thick and coats a spoon). Add sugar to your liking. Stir in cardamom powder and saffron and let it cool.

Bread - White bread (any kind of sandwich bread or french will do). Cut the corners and pan fry them in some butter until golden.

Ricotta Cheese - Cook a cup of ricotta until the water evaporates and add a tiny bit of sweet butter to it and some dry milk to ensure it is of a crumbly texture.

Nuts - Sweet cashews, almonds and pistachios - roughly chopped and fried in some butter and reserved

To assemble.

Dip the bread in the thick milk and put it in a large pan in a single layer. Next sprinkle the ricotta over it (use your hands for sprinkling). Pour the any remaining milk. Finish with the nuts and chill prior to serving.

The bread will soak up the flavored milk and that along with the rich ricotta texture and crunchy nuts make for a very delectable dessert.

Great for Individual serving or a Buffet.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Reminds me of a comic strip character my mother always talked about: Casper Milquetoast.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:24 PM   #13
Head Chef

Soggy bread, yuk! One of those mouth sensations I can't handle.
But I LIKE bread pudding... go figure!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:40 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
Soggy bread, yuk! One of those mouth sensations I can't handle.
But I LIKE bread pudding... go figure!
Exactly! I never ate the cornbread & buttermilk because it just didn't seem right. But bread pudding is one of my favorite treats! Also banana pudding (with it's slightly soggy vanilla wafers) and tiramisu (with the soggy lady fingers).
Old 09-24-2007, 02:48 PM   #15
Master Chef

My dad ate this pretty regularly. Milk and bread, milk and crackers, milk and cornbread. Sometimes he would use buttermilk. I always found it to be disgusting for some reason and I can't even watch someone eat it. But my dad sure loved it!
Old 09-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #16
Head Chef

Graham crackers work too....
Old 09-24-2007, 03:38 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post
Yeah, but graham crakers will go through you like grain through a goose!
Old 09-24-2007, 03:41 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post
My favorite is Oreos and milk

With, not in.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:39 PM   #19
Head Chef

This thread reminds me of when I was a kid my grandmother used to soak Pilot crackers in hot water until they swelled. Then top with butter and sugar. I think I will have to look for those Pilot crackers next time I am in the market.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #20
Master Chef

Grandma from Georgia, and Nanny & Grandpa from Mississippi, all used to eat cornbread crumbled up in a glass of buttermilk ... either for supper or for a bedtime snack. Heck ... Mom, all my aunts and uncles did, too.

When I was sick I used to get milquetoast - toasted white bread with a pinch or two of sugar and sweet milk.

humm ... talk about comfort food!

Tags
None