"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
Corazon, your husband is a firefighter? I ask because my dad is a short-timer and some of my buddies are firefighters as well. I have a couple ideas in that respect.
Yep, he is a firefighter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Corazon, my suggestion for your husband's birthday is to get yourself a sexy little outfit and a baby sitter for Friday or Saturday night. It will do you both good.
lol Constance! I can't imagine the "sexy little outfit" idea. While it's a great idea to go out, I'm not sure who in the world I'd get to babysit! I'm sure through the fire dept, dh knows of good babysitters but we live 45 minutes out of town. It makes it very difficult. To boot, for xmas we were given a $50 gift certificate to one of our favorite restaurants that we still haven't used.

Anyone up for babysitting my boys?

Old 03-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I second what Constance said, and use the gift card to the restaurant and get that babysitter!

Oh and the sexy outfit for sure!

Old 03-13-2007, 11:30 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Well Cora, you still have some days... do you think you can manage to compile either a scrap book or a powerpoint presentation (maybe to a background music of "Chariots of Fire" theme, as he is quite an athlete, and isn't that music about 30 year old?) dedicated to his life? That would be something truly special and unique to him...
Old 03-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by csalt
Maybe a list in nice print of things you think are really special about him, perhaps illustrated a bit.
You can find lots of different pics on google 'images'.
The children could share in making the list.
I ADORE this idea! "30 Reasons Why We Love You", which you and the kids have written. Then framed.

Great idea, csalt!

Lee
Old 03-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by csalt
Maybe a list in nice print of things you think are really special about him, perhaps illustrated a bit.
You can find lots of different pics on google 'images'.
The children could share in making the list.
I took csalt's gift advice for dh. 30 things we love about you. He loved it! Said it was the best gift he's ever recieved! I put it out in his woodshop and taped it to the back of the door, where it will stay for a long time. He tends to go out there when he's frustrated with the kids, so this will be a great way to lift his spirits when he's feeling like that.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! Now I'm set for ideas the next few years.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #16
Sous Chef

corazon, that's good knews to hear . I'm so glad both you, he and the children liked that idea. How lovely to surprise him with it on the back of the door>

Once, for one of our wedding anniversaries I did a nice print version of Elizebeth Barrett Browning's poem "How Do I Love Thee, Let Me Count The Ways" and framed it to give to DH. He really liked that . It's a lovely poem; one I like very much. I love poetry anyway.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:47 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon
I took csalt's gift advice for dh. 30 things we love about you. He loved it! Said it was the best gift he's ever recieved! I put it out in his woodshop and taped it to the back of the door, where it will stay for a long time. He tends to go out there when he's frustrated with the kids, so this will be a great way to lift his spirits when he's feeling like that.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! Now I'm set for ideas the next few years.
Awwwwwwwwww, how cool!

And where do YOU go, when you're frustrated with the kids?

Lee
Old 03-20-2007, 07:05 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
That was a really special, cute and considerate gift, Cora... (and compliments to csalt!) glad you guys enjoyed a wonderful birthday, and made your b-day boy very happy!!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:57 AM   #19
Sous Chef

I missed this post originally. Thanks for bumping up corazon! It's a great feel story that reminds me why we love DC!
Old 03-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis
Awwwwwwwwww, how cool!

And where do YOU go, when you're frustrated with the kids?

Lee
I study modern dance and ballet.
I don't get as easily frustrated but when it gets to be a bit much I go take a dance class. It's almost like meditation to me. I'm not doing anything but dancing and my mind is clear. It is a great release. I have class twice a week and recently been rehearsing for an upcoming show.