"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

i was one of the lucky ones, never had acne at all. my poor sis did and i think just out grew it. for the dryness on your face, which i do have, use olay or skin-so-soft from avon. no perfumed if you can find it. when i say dry skin, i mean really dry. constant battle.
i know it makes you feel bad and i am sorry. be kind to yourself

Old 10-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #12
Executive Chef

You may want to try this Benefits of Blemish Control

it's a bit pricey but you only need a little and they will send your money back if it doesn't work I've used the straight up oil on my face for about three years and I'm very happy. Not only that but the straight up oil helps with many other issues. I used it when I cut a big chunk out of my hand washing a glass and it did help the wound heal faster. Go ahead and go through the whole site and learn. You do not want to buy Emu oil from some other companies as some are not approved and sell contaminated oils. Emu oil is just like the oil in our bodies and sinks deeper because of that. If only one thing it will fix your dry skin.
Oh and I really like the Purple Rub it works great on mild carpel tunnel and no I do not benefit from this company in any way it's just a product I like.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #13
Executive Chef

This is the oil I like.
Pure Refined Emu Oil
Old 10-27-2008, 10:59 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I never had a problem with acne until I got pregnant. My hormones never changed back so I still get it. Not really bad on my face but it's terrible on my back.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:09 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Sattie, its more common than you think. I too, still deal with it at 49 y.o.And like you, it didn't even begin until I was in my 20's. Lots of different treatments, dermatologists etc, but now it seems to be subsiding. Of course, I haven't had a haircut since 1996, don't own a comb (if you have a hat why buy a comb?) and I'm still hangin' on to my "members only" jacket, so obviously I don't get too worked up about how I look. I am who I am-those who have a "problem" with the way (insert higher power of your choice here) made me are free to leave at anytime.

I know lots of people who use Proactiv and swear by it. Like anything else, it too has some side effects and drawbacks. Seems like anything I ever tried that actually worked resulted in very dry skin. Accutane, on the other hand, should only be used as a last resort, in the most severe cases. A family member had a child born with a multitude of "problems" that the Drs said were likely caused by the accutane.

Besides Sattie-Ones true "beauty" comes from within. And as anyone whos gotten to know you can attest, in that regard you are truly "blemish"-free
Old 10-27-2008, 11:33 PM   #16
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
One of my best friends suffered from acne for many years until he turned vegetarian. It cleared up in a few short months.
i am agreeing here. A LOT of people suffer from this...myself included. If I go on a raw diet, nothing but fresh raw veggies and water, i have BEAUTIFUL skin. carrot juice is a skin savior! One wrong move, and I am ashamed to go in public for days. It runs your life. It seriously affects my social life. Everyone tells me i am so cute, nothing but charming, wonderful person, but I have a bad skin day/week, I am an anti-social hermit. It sucks. It seems so unfair some people can consume nothing BUT junk food and their skin is beautiful. I am sure they have their health complaints, but having a skin flare up, to me, is unbearable. It is out there for the whole world to see.

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:34 PM   #17
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by middie View Post
I never had a problem with acne until I got pregnant. My hormones never changed back so I still get it. Not really bad on my face but it's terrible on my back.
agree here too! i had beautiful skin until pregancy in 1997. since then, been nothing but constant breakouts! grrrrrr!

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:17 AM   #18
Master Chef

Have I told you guys that I love you????? Seriously... I don't know how you find a place like this with such loving and caring people, so accepting despite my mistakes... my issues, whatever else is wrong with me at the moment.

Vegitarianism? I have often thought a cleansing diet might be the answer. The problem is I like meat. DH would never dream of not having a meat with his meal. So there lies a problem for me. I don't think I could cook him meat and serve it to him while I eat a salad.... well... it may be easier for me to make such a change than him. I appreciate the replies. I appreciate you taking time out to even read this thread.

I will say I have more good skin days than bad. I know the dryness is stemmed partly from the cool weather and the treatment. My skin is not oily like it normally is. And since it is not oily, my skin looks older. I'm afraid to 'mix' stuff. Meaning my skin is so sensitive that I feel it is better that I use one line of products. It is my thought they were made to go with each other. So I am somewhat reluctant to try a moisturizer that is not from the same line of Proactive products.

However, you have hit on something that makes me wonder if a diet change would keep me from having to spend $$$ on drugs and chemicals. (I do eat lots of fish, and I adore salty foods!!!)

Kadesma... I know the pain you have experienced, and I know it is for much different circumstances. I know no one deserves this and I know my outwardly issues are not near as bad as what some deal with. Actually... I feel kinda of petty for even bringing it up. With all the hurt, pain, problems, I'm certain my little problem with acne is small in comparison. (I'm reminded up each day and just did not even dawn on me until I started reading some of the posts here.)

I want to thank you all.... things could be so much worse than they are and I am thankful for what I have. Thankful for the friends here. Thankful that I am in a position to help others in need. I do not want to discount any reply to this thread... I appreciate your time and thoughtfulness!
Old 10-28-2008, 01:07 AM   #19
Senior Cook

My skin got very bad after returning home from backpacking when I was 22. I used Roaccutane and it cleared up very quickly and never had any problems since. A lot of people have bad side effects though - I was lucky that I never did. One thing is that you can't have kids for about 3 years after using it(if I remember correctly) and apparently studies have found it linked to depression.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:46 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
You may want to try this Benefits of Blemish Control

it's a bit pricey but you only need a little and they will send your money back if it doesn't work I've used the straight up oil on my face for about three years and I'm very happy. Not only that but the straight up oil helps with many other issues. I used it when I cut a big chunk out of my hand washing a glass and it did help the wound heal faster. Go ahead and go through the whole site and learn. You do not want to buy Emu oil from some other companies as some are not approved and sell contaminated oils. Emu oil is just like the oil in our bodies and sinks deeper because of that. If only one thing it will fix your dry skin.
Oh and I really like the Purple Rub it works great on mild carpel tunnel and no I do not benefit from this company in any way it's just a product I like.
no joke, my daughter was attacked by an emu out in the boons. she was walking a horse from on ranch to another and he jumped out of bushes on top of her. she said it stunk awful and had oily stuff on it. it put many scratchs on her arms. one left a very bad scar. crazy huh