"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
Head Chef

Advertising pharmceuticals

The United States and New Zealand are the only two countries in the world that allow advertising of pharmaceuticals (DTC= Direct to Consumer) on TV or in magazines.I personally think that the rest of the world is more 'advanced' in that way, in that area.

But I can see pros and cons for both ways.

I've been to doctors who have given me totally wrong advice.

I've also been on some health forums where one of the more popular threads was the benefits of coffee enemas---- I mean LOTS of them. (A friend dubbed them Reverse Lattes.)

The NHS has been considering relaxing those restrictions---- probably since the Internet's arrival. Does the NHS want people to get their drug/health questions from doctors or from the general public in health forums? That may be one of the undecided points.

What do you think? Anyone?

Old 01-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Coffee enemas?!
What's next? K-cup suppositories?

Oh I'm sorry, what was the question?

Old 01-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Drug advertising should stop, now.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
Head Chef

@Pacanis---- K-cup suppository? YEE--OW-OW-CH!!!

I think I'm with you, PF---- even though I waffled a bit. Truthfully now, everyone----- can you even HEAR those words that are piled on top of each other about the 'dangers' of drugs on TV?

Or read those teensy tiny words (package insert) in a magazine? Come on now!!!! That's really an insult to me.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

We laugh at them. Some of the side effects, when compared to the benefit, are comical.

"May cause leprosy, shingles, heart disease and death, but you'll have nice long eyelashes!"
Old 01-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The advertising makes it very difficult for doctors to do their jobs. It was bad enough when patients would not leave with out a new script, now they have the names of specific drugs they most likely do not need and won't leave until they have it.

Big Pharm should get out of advertising and go back to research where they belong.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The advertising makes it very difficult for doctors to do their jobs. It was bad enough when patients would not leave with out a new script, now they have the names of specific drugs they most likely do not need and won't leave until they have it.

Big Pharm should get out of advertising and go back to research where they belong.
+1 100% And most of the drugs advertised are drugs that are not normally needed. Other, less dangerous drugs could do the exact same thing. Might take a bit longer to relieve what ever is the symptom, but a lot safer.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:22 PM   #8
Master Chef

I've always hated the drug advertising. While I fully believe one needs to be informed to be their own health advocate, these ads don't really benefit the consumer. They don't give enough information and don't address drug interactions. Your doctor knows about these drugs since most pharmaceutical companies send people out to teach the doctors about the new drugs and give them samples to try. Trust your doctor and ask questions about why s/he put you on that particular one. Don't trust the drug company. They are in business to make money, not take care of you.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Isn't that butterfly in the Lunesta ads just the cutest little darn thing you've ever seen??
Old 01-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #10
Head Chef

Jabbur said:
"these ads don't really benefit the consumer. They don't give enough information and don't address drug interactions."

What? You don't have ears capable of picking out the drug interactions in those TV ads that are spoken at twice the speed of sound???

Drug Ads Play Up Benefits, Downsize Risks : NPR