"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

Do you want to? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.
Hmm... If I do I might start to like it and become an alcoholic.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

HEY! What? Where?
I'm in!

oops, edited to say; I saw the words free and alcohol in the subject line and well..... you know.....

Old 02-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
HEY! What? Where?
I'm in!

oops, edited to say; I saw the words free and alcohol in the subject line and well..... you know.....
hahahahhaahh, silly you........... that's funny

For GG..............
this thread wasn't meant to point fingers, God knows I'm not into that. I was just wondering, as with any thing I'm curious about [who does what] regarding cocktails/wine/beer/etc.=libations. If you drink, good, if you don't good.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:42 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilKii View Post
Hmm... If I do I might start to like it and become an alcoholic.
I like it and I'm not an alcoholic It's possible to drink in moderation without going to extremes.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Smile Random Breath Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i will definitely be alcohol free at parties at work this year after what i saw this morning.

as i got up to the door of my building, i noticed a cop (that had pulled over a motorist) had hung this small black box over the half opened window of the car. it was just at the right level for the driver to breathe in to, so i assume it was some kind of preliminary chemical tester.
BT, we have compulsory Random Breath Testing here. The police set up units along the roadside and usually pull in 3-4 cars at a time. We have a driving limit of .05. You count to 10 into the little black box which registers your alcohol intake. If you are over, you are taken back to the police station and charged and go before the courts. If serious, loss of licence is not uncommon.

DH and I may have one or two on the weekend but we have never been big drinkers. DH used to joke that on cheap bistro night, he could take me out for dinner and two drinks for under $10.00 - if it was white wine, after two I would be under the table, it didn't agree with me.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
funny day for my newbie self to find this thread. I just put 27 irish drink recipes up on my homepage for the upcoming holiday, cruised over here to see what was going on, and found THIS
Old 02-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #37
Master Chef

We belong to a FMI Baptist church, drinking is a no-no. I think that is silly, the bible says not to be a drunkard, not that you can't drink on occasion. Like everything else, moderation. Then again the Pastor and most of the congregation are recovering alcoholics so I understand their feelings. Just don't think their feelings should influence my religion.
Anyway, wife likes the occasional wine or wine cooler or mixed drink. I occasionally like a mixed drink but that is about it. Most meds I take don't mix well with alcohol, a lot of types of alcohol give me heartburn anyway especially beer. And alcohol doesn't mix well with Type II diabetes either.
As far as memories of alcohol, I had a father that needed at least a six pack to get up the nerve to take a swing at us, enough said there.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:30 PM   #38
Senior Cook

We have a lot of low alcohol, low carb or low caloried drinks to indulge in. New Years Eve was spent sharing a bottle with a friend of low carb Jewel Pink champers, hiccup, sorry - was quite tasty and no headache the next morning which I might say I was very impressed about.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #39
Sous Chef

I had never tasted alcohol.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:50 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I am attempting to not drink for awhile. I seem to have gotten to a point where I have at least 2 EVERY day and didn't want to skip a day. I never drank before 4 pm, but once I start cooking dinner, that's my trigger.
That sounds bad to me, and I have lots of alcoholics on my Mom's side of the family.
Today will be day 2. I drank 3 cups of coffee instead last night. DH likes this idea so far, all the coffee kept me from falling asleep on the couch as soon as the kids were in bed!