"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 09-16-2006, 06:36 PM   #21
Sous Chef
I'm TERRIBLY bummed that fall approaches. Yes it's beautiful, but I can't get past what lies ahead.

BlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:09 PM   #22
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by shpj4
Here in Southern California we have until the end of October before it cools off. Today it is in the 80's and I have all my windows closed. I wish we had a Fall like most states with the beautiful colors across the countryside and in the trees. Our trees do turn orange and yellow but not like the East Coast.
We have our seasons, but they're just more...subtle. Right now, on the SoCal coast where I live, I can feel that little crispness to the air that foretells fall.

So while we don't have the glorious colors of fall or the possibility of a Currier & Ives-like Christmas, we also don't have the bug problems and unbearable humidity in the summer, we don't have to shovel snow in the winter or deal with blizzards, we don't usually worry about tornadoes, and we never have hurricanes. Yeah, yeah, we have the occasional earthquake, but I feel quite lucky to live in such a temperate, almost weather-less clime in which you can pretty enjoy the outdoors all year round.

suzyQ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:34 PM   #23
Senior Cook
I love the change of seasons, and always ready for the next one. They are not very dramatic here. But it is lovely to be able to have lunch outside in spring, have everything outside in the summer, begin thinking about pumpkins and casseroles in the autumn, and nesting in the winter.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:42 PM   #24
Head Chef
Originally Posted by FryBoy
Not me! Fall is my favorite season.
Me, too! Autumn is the bonus we get for having to go through Winter. There's nothing quite like the smell of falling leaves.
bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:49 PM   #25
Executive Chef
I love the fall in northern New Mexico[where I live at 7500 ft elevation] its already getting to the lower 40s to upper 30s at night its great we sleep with the windows open but stay warm with a really nice down comforter.Problem right now is the bears, for some reason the acorns did not come out this year which is a huge calorie food for them,so they are roaming big time looking for more food as they need a alot more fat to hibernate.
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:02 PM   #26
Executive Chef
I'm with you cora. Our summer was much too short this year. I do love the fall, but I still want a few more days of summer. Today and for the next few days it should be close to 80 which is great.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:04 PM   #27
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I'm just bummed that I can't wear nicer clothes for the season; it's darn hot down here!
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:16 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I don't mind fall... until it starts to get cold on a daily basis. Then I hate it because it means we'll have 6 months of winter lol.
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:47 PM   #29
Executive Chef
I love "sweater weather" but really dislike having to wear a winter coat. When it gets cold enough for a coat, I just freeze and don't want to come out again until the Spring.

Granted our temps may not seem real cold to people up north but everyone aclimates to their area. It was 74 driving home from Alabama, I had the convertible down and the heat on. I was a little cold because of the wind chill.

I really dislike winter. I like to head north to ski and see the snow a couple of times a year but that's enough for me.
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:50 PM   #30
Master Chef
As a witness to a miserably hot summer, the hints of fall this season is truly inviting!!!!

sattie is offline   Reply With Quote

« Iraq | Killer Cat! »