"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Why don't they ask what other troops doing at the District Meeting? As long as your Troop in not poaching on another Troop's market, there should be no hard feeling. My District is fairly long, so what troop in south county sells, doesn't effect what goes on in the western or northern area of the District.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Thanks Maverick. (BBB) I don't tend to abbreviate. Spelling out was drilled in to me for so many years, when I read these posts I have to stop in my tracks and figure most of them out, then reread.

My worst pet-peeves is xmas for Christmas. Sorry!
That's just me.

Sounds like a bunch of politics/adults getting in kids'
way the past couple of posts. Sounds like it kind of gets in the way of the kids' incentives and fun.
Typical.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #23
Master Chef

Don't forget cold weather camping, that was interesting! LOL.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Thanks Maverick. (BBB) I don't tend to abbreviate. Spelling out was drilled in to me for so many years, when I read these posts I have to stop in my tracks and figure most of them out, then reread.

My worst pet-peeves is xmas for Christmas. Sorry!
That's just me.

Sounds like a bunch of politics/adults getting in kids'
way the past couple of posts. Sounds like it kind of gets in the way of the kids' incentives and fun.
Typical.
There is no doubt some of the would get political, but for most it was being able to say 'proud sponsor' of the Boy Scouts and the tax write off, other than that we never heard from them. There were a couple, Volunteer Firefighters was one, that were really into helping with fund raisers, getting us meeting places, etc, without any desire to get involved in the politics.
They were great!
Old 05-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #25
Executive Chef

My uncle just told me about a very successful fundraising event his local high school has every year. They get the local golf course to sponsor them for a day and all the greens fees go to the school. The kids go and act as caddies and gophers for the golfers, who tip them generously. With the tips and the greens fees, they make more money in one day than in the whole year before they started this event. Another high school has a similar event at a shooting range. The key is to approach the business and get them to sponsor the event and then go to your local news and radio stations and get them to publicize it so that the sponsor gets a lot of good press out of it. HTH