"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Haven't had any of the Asian ladybugs in the house, but I swept up a dustpan full in the shop on Thursday. Even discovered a couple in my car. Huh???

Someone told me the ladybugs were a sign of good luck. If that's the case, I threw out a dustpan full of good luck the other day.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:31 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
We have had a persistent fly the last few weeks. We have an electric fly swat and I finally caught it on that and that was the end.
I try to catch the flies and feed them to my fish.... they love flies!!!

I don't have so much trouble in the fall as I do in the spring... those dang May flies drive me up the wall!

Old 11-08-2008, 12:01 AM   #13
Master Chef

Where were you guys when I met with my advisor and informed that I had to take an Entomology course (bugs---I didn't know either)........I had two choices in order to pass......either do original research (hahahaha) or have a 200 pinned insect collection representing the 13 orders and so many families (sorry, I forget)...........well, being the ONLY elementary education major in a class dominated by herpetology, agronomy, range sciend, soil biologists, etc., majors, I really felt on top of things.........as in NOT..........when it came time to "key" out an insect I didn't have a clue............luckily the prof took pity on his only dummy elementary education major and showed me what to do........if you understood the concept either/or you were doing fine............either its antennae were 5 segmented or you moved down on the chart........yes, you had to be under the age of menopause to take this class with good eyesight and enjoy looking thru a microscope for 3 hours straight on.........my favorite part of the class was hunting the insects with a net..........I became quite good at it..........which is why I'm jealous that y'all have these fellows coming to you willingly.............do you know how hard it is to catch a dragonfly and how more difficult it is to identify what family........you don't do it by their color.......oh, no.........you put their wings under the microscope and if a tiny vein in their wings v off then it's this family or if it c offs in a certain direction it's this family........do NOT take ento if you're in menopause and the eyesight is going..........where were you guys in 1975???
Old 11-08-2008, 12:13 AM   #14
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
ooooh THAT is entertainment. Our bettas love it when a fly lands in their water. They turn into little pirahnas! And we watch like it's UFC or something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
I try to catch the flies and feed them to my fish.... they love flies!!!

I don't have so much trouble in the fall as I do in the spring... those dang May flies drive me up the wall!

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:17 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon in KS View Post
ooooh THAT is entertainment. Our bettas love it when a fly lands in their water. They turn into little pirahnas! And we watch like it's UFC or something!
Oh yea!!! My compressiceps love the flies! So I try to swat them just enough to stun them and then toss them in the tank. I like watching them go after semi-live bait.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:44 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Oh yea!!! My compressiceps love the flies! So I try to swat them just enough to stun them and then toss them in the tank. I like watching them go after semi-live bait.
I love that word.......are they skinny like some of our favorite models.......are you sure that they will eat the flies.....or just the fake ones..............ok, are they fat-free flies???
Old 11-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Tanked fish going nuts on flies? ROFL! Have your kids catch a couple small Largemouth Bass, and put them in a tank by themselves (if it's legal). Feed them some minnows, once a day or so. The bass will be slopping water out of the tank! Check to make sure it's legal to keep gamefish in a tank first.

The only real prob we have with bugs here is moths coming in through the front door. Our porch light is right by the door, and they get sucked into the house when the door opens.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #18
Master Chef

these must not be vegetable rights moths..........
Old 11-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #19
Master Chef

you know that I'm kidding all of you..........I'm going to push this as far as I can........though it's weird to be awake and seeing these cartoons at 9am........and horrible ones at that................maybe KZ isn't so bad after all...............honestly I could be writing the dialogue for this drivel called cartoon shows.............my granddaughter laughs and loves my goodnight stories.......ye would, too..........
Old 11-08-2008, 10:37 AM   #20
Master Chef

no........I just read what I wrote and it could be taken the wrong way.......trust me..........I didn't mean it that way.........turn the off button on...........