Catina 1929 - 2014; Our Fishing Vessel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found some big ones in the colors the Gizzi liked. These are twice the size of the regular soup bowls. Will that work?

With love,
~Cat

I also knew he hated the old butcher-block counters, so I asked him what he would prefer: marble or granite? He likes both, and he told me to get whatever was cheaper and would look nice. Which is better? Marble or granite?

I don't know about the laws in Romania, but in the U.S., a commercial workplace is required to have stainless steel work surfaces because it's easier to sanitize. Although this boat is privately owned, it's not a home kitchen so surfaces that would work at home might not be appropriate. I also wonder about the weight of granite or marble and how that might affect the boat's balance. And neither one is cheap!

Just a couple of thoughts :)

On Catina, we had wooden butcher-block counters. Galleys and bathrooms and crew quarters aren't inspected too closely. The main concern is the plumbing. It can't be linked to the plumbing for the recirculating tanks, obviously, and preferably as far as possible from the tanks.

Galleys and bathrooms are checked for certain molds and gunk that can collect in the fixtures, but other than that, there isn't much else.

The main concerns are the holding tanks, the recirculating pumps and filters, generators, and batteries. These have to be in perfect working order and the tanks have to be immaculate or you're stuck in the harbor until these pass.

The architect will draw the plans for the ship, and the engineer will deal with her ballast and weight distribution. I just have rough sketches on graph paper right now with ideas. The architect will try to incorporate as many of our ideas into her as he can, so I don't know about that yet.

Stainless steel counters sound good, though, should there be a weight issue.

The big issue, of course, is her safety rating and how well she is prepared for an emergency. I know this very well!

With love,
~Cat

The stainless steel for counter tops isn't very thick. It would be a lot lighter than a stone counter top.
One of the things I like about stainless steel counter tops is that there is almost always a lip at the edge, which keeps liquids from running onto the floor or my tummy.

That's a good advantage! Cooking on a pitching, rolling ship is problematic at best, but if the sea isn't too crazy that lip might just work. Even in gentle swells, liquids can run all over the place!

That's an idea!

With love,
~Cat

You are amazing, Cat!

Thank you but no I'm not. I'm just trying to help Papa. This one will be named for me again, and I must do everything right.

She's come another 18 miles! They have put in for a day to take on supplies for the tugs and to fix a weak anchor chain. Luckily it didn't break, but a link began to separate.

They are having more ice issues so the next few days will be very, very slow.

Someone told me Corelle does break sometimes. Does it?

With love,
~Cat

Thank you but no I'm not. I'm just trying to help Papa. This one will be named for me again, and I must do everything right.

She's come another 18 miles! They have put in for a day to take on supplies for the tugs and to fix a weak anchor chain. Luckily it didn't break, but a link began to separate.

They are having more ice issues so the next few days will be very, very slow.

Someone told me Corelle does break sometimes. Does it?

With love,
~Cat
Corelle will break. It takes a pretty good whack but it will break. Just as Melmac will. The safe thing about them is they don't shatter into pieces. They usually just break in half. We have only had one break when it went flying off the bridge and hit the aft deck. It just broke in half. No splinters or shards.

Corelle will break. It takes a pretty good whack but it will break. Just as Melmac will. The safe thing about them is they don't shatter into pieces. They usually just break in half. We have only had one break when it went flying off the bridge and hit the aft deck. It just broke in half. No splinters or shards.

Oh thank you! I found such a pretty pattern. The Gizzi was away today I think and so I wasn't able to talk to him.

Look at this! It's a little bit more subdued but very nice!

Corelle® Impressions

With love,
~Cat

Oh good! I thought these may be better. Thank you all!

Don't show this to her, Rocket. It could become expensive!

I will be calling the Gizzi tomorrow. I bet he will like these!

Thank you all so very much for helping me with these things! I appreciate you, and I'll let you know what the Gizzi decides.

With love,
~Cat

I love that Corelle pattern Cat! I've been trying to break my plain white Corelle dinner ware for more than 30 years now, with no luck at all. Talk about durable~~

I think I deserve some new dishes, so I'm going to order these! Thanks for finding them!!

Oh thank you! I found such a pretty pattern. The Gizzi was away today I think and so I wasn't able to talk to him.

Look at this! It's a little bit more subdued but very nice!

Corelle® Impressions

With love,
~Cat

I love the pattern. But the mug seems a bit too small for a man's hand. One gulp and the cup is empty.

One of the advantages of Corelle is that it is very thin and thus takes up less room. Easier to store. :angel:

I love that Corelle pattern Cat! I've been trying to break my plain white Corelle dinner ware for more than 30 years now, with no luck at all. Talk about durable~~

I think I deserve some new dishes, so I'm going to order these! Thanks for finding them!!

I will be right over with my hammer. Donate your white ones to the Salvation Army thrift store. :angel:

Last edited:
I love the pattern. But the mug seems a bit too small for a man's hand. One gulp and the cup is empty....
You're right Addie, Corelle cups are 8 oz or less no matter what the pattern.

Cat, you might also want to think about getting enough big, sturdy mugs for the crew to use. If you want to get really fancy, maybe some diner mugs that you could personalize with each member's name. They make markers that work on porcelain and china that you can heat-set so the name stays on.

You're right Addie, Corelle cups are 8 oz or less no matter what the pattern.

Cat, you might also want to think about getting enough big, sturdy mugs for the crew to use. If you want to get really fancy, maybe some diner mugs that you could personalize with each member's name. They make markers that work on porcelain and china that you can heat-set so the name stays on.

The description states the mugs hold 11 ounces.

Oh I'm so happy! The Gizzi loves this set of dishes! He said to me, "Very good, Little Captain. I want those." I'll go look for great big mugs in something unbreakable to add to the set.

But the guys always have these huge thermal mugs with tops they bring from home. They put their coffee and tea in these and stash them close to the deck.

The Gizzi says these are a go!

She made another 9 miles today. There was a winter squall which set them back, but the weather is clearing so they may make better headway tomorrow.

I have some savings. I'm buying these for fifty people instead of forty, for the new Catina is much bigger. It's my gift to the Gizzi, who never threw me out of his galley, and who was harsh to me so I would learn. He'll still be very harsh with me in the 2015 season, because he cares and wants me to learn.

When I was much smaller he'd let me sit in his lap and he would tell me of sea tales. I loved that!

I thank you all! We have the dishes now!

Kayelle, I'm so happy I stumbled upon something you like! Tell me how you like them, please?

I have the greatest support group in all the world on this endeavor from all of you. It's all for Papa and the crew and the Gizzi, and I must not go wrong on anything.

With love,
~Cat

Back
Top Bottom