"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-14-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
Everymom

Celebrations!

OK, we have a Venting thread, and heaven knows we all need that from time to time.

This one is to share the fabulous moments in our lives, or the little triumphs and joys that we just can't keep in.

Mine is from yesterday. My Great Aunt turned 100 years old. That in itself is pretty amazing, but the coolest bit of it is that she is still as sharp mentally as you could want to be. She has a better memory than I do, she keeps up with current events and world affairs and is just the sweetest lady you'd want to meet. She got a great party yesterday too. She got certificates of congratulations from the leaders of all three levels of government, AND a certificate from the Queen too. She even got recognized in a little clip on the news.

In chatting with her yesterday she mentioned that shes gone from horse and buggy to today. Pretty neat. And still able to remember it all and tell us about it.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:32 PM   #2
Head Chef

Congratulations Alix's Great Aunt! And what a brilliant idea Alix, the positive thread is much needed to cancel out all our moanings and groanings in the other one!

This might seem a small celebration, but I would like to celebrate the people in my life. Not for anything special, but just for being who they are and for being a souce of inspiration to strive to be better than I would otherwise be. :)

Old 11-14-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
Everymom

YAY lulu! I'm glad you have people in your life like that. Its a wonderful blessing.

And don't get me wrong, I started that Venting thread and I think it is an important one! I don't want anyone to NOT post in there, because Venting is important and we need to support each other in there.

I just really wanted a place where we can celebrate together too. So here we have it. Lets hear from you folks!
Old 11-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

We just found out that our daughter got into the daycare we were hoping she would get into. There were a number of schools we were looking at, but this one was by far the best. It is also, surprisingly, the least expensive. It is in our town which is a huge plus and the teachers there seem to do it out of love for the kids, not because it is just a job to them. We can't wait to see how much fun she has there.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:45 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Great idea on this thread, as well as the Venting one, Alix. You know just what we all need sometimes, and you've prepared the proper places to park it.

OK, here's mine. Took daughter to the orthodontist today, for the zillionth time. She is getting her braces off next week and is estatically happy (it's the day before we leave for NYC). Seeing her pleasure in this has given me more happiness than I expected.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:02 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

It finally dawned on me today that after 44 years of marriage, 4 kids, starting and running our own business, my DH and I are taking our very first vacation..We've had a day here or there usually to get hours to keep up with what was happening in the pharmacy field and is required. But never have we gone any place since our honeymoon..I almost danced a jig in the middle of Cost Plus today when I realized next month we GO!!! We are taking a short cruise to Mexico, don't laugh now, but for us it's a biggie

kadesma
Old 11-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

It's about time you took sometime off away from the kitchen, kadesma (but we will need you back soonish)!

Not laughing here at all. Enjoy your cruise, and let someone else do the cooking for a change.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:20 PM   #8
Executive Chef

In the words of the group Rare Earth ~

Well, I can't be bothered with sorrow
And I can't be bothered with hate, no, no
I'm using up my time by feeling fine, every day
That's why I'm telling you
I just want to celebrate another day of livin'
I just want to celebrate another day of life
Old 11-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Wasabi - What beautifull thoughts - I think you might have helped alot more prople than you know!!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
It finally dawned on me today that after 44 years of marriage, 4 kids, starting and running our own business, my DH and I are taking our very first vacation..We've had a day here or there usually to get hours to keep up with what was happening in the pharmacy field and is required. But never have we gone any place since our honeymoon..I almost danced a jig in the middle of Cost Plus today when I realized next month we GO!!! We are taking a short cruise to Mexico, don't laugh now, but for us it's a biggie

kadesma

No laughter here kadesma!
I think it's great!!! Have fun! What ports do you stop
in? Eat drink and be HAPPPPY!!!!!