"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #1
Wine Guy

Christopher Kimball is leaving America's Test Kitchen

Apparently it's due to a contract dispute. I can't decide if this is a good or bad change. He's a bit of an oddball, but I do kind of like him.

It's also interesting to note that ATK is allegedly making a number of changes to their subscriber business, which I hope is a positive. Their website is currently very user-unfriendly, in my opinion.

Christopher Kimball is leaving ‘America’s Test Kitchen’ - Celebrity news - Boston.com

Old 11-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Huh. I kind of like him too. Hope it works out.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I love Cooks Illustrated but I rarely read his editor's letter and I don't watch the shows. I hope the scientific nature of the magazines doesn't change.

I'm also a subscriber of the Cooks Illustrated website. For about a year, they've been pushing for people to subscribe to all their websites - for a higher annual cost, of course. I haven't done that because they seem to share a lot of the same recipes and I'm not that interested in the stories that come with Cooks Country. I hope I'm not forced into paying more for what I have now.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #4
Head Chef

They were pushing for us to sign up and pay money when I logged into it this past week to get the recipe I made for dinner tonight. I've been a member for a long time when it was totally free to sign up, now they are trying to charge me. Not happy about that. Got a couple issues of their mag but not interested. In fact, I'm considering not renewing our Bon Appetit subscription because it seems to be mostly travel and booze/perfume ads lately.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:21 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I stopped subscribing to any food mags as they are all ads, travel and other non-food stuff. Cook's Illustrated is quite expensive compared to the others. Rather than pay to use the website I record the tv shows and transcribe the recipes I like.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:10 AM   #6
Master Chef

I just watch and DVR the shows too, as opposed to subscribing online. I do have a couple of the ATK cookbooks I like that I got at the used bookstore.

I enjoy the shows and get a LOT of useful information out of them, but I kind of get the impression that Christopher Kimball can be kind of annoying to his co-hosts. He's said some things 'jokingly' on air that hasn't exactly put them in the best light.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:35 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

The thing about the ATK magazines is that there are no ads - that's why they cost more than other foodie magazines, but it also means you don't have to wade through any ads while reading and they remain independent in their ingredient and equipment reviews. I hope that doesn't change.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #8
Master Chef

I always have thought he was an odd duck to be the head honcho of the whole thing, but strangely entertaining.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #9
Master Chef

I find him insufferable ....
Old 11-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I find him insufferable ....

+1!!!

Tags
kitchen