"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Dogs, again!

Please tell me if you think I AM crazy? I have been looking for another dog as friend to my puppy. 3 months old and he won't let my old dog alone, wants to play. Old dog going through acupuncture and doesn't need teasing right now. (I wouldn't) So anyway, been searching on Petfinder for months and never getting accepted. Not easy! One woman told me I was too old and dogs would outlive me. Who knows how long we will be here? I was stunned but kept my mouth shut. She didn't sound like young person to me herself. She must be thinking of herself. I am not worrying about tomorrow. Just have to accept disappointments or otherwise.

Now I have two dogs about one year old that look perfect. Trouble is different locations of the US. One east other west. I do want both of them since I have looked for so long and I am crazy about dogs. Beside this is Easter weekend too and my family wants leg of lamb for dinner? What would you do? I want to rent car for weekend one is over 7 hours away. Is this crazy? Used to be I could just find dog at Humane Society. Trouble I can't go over there and see those dogs and not take all of them. Who could do that to the rest who want homes too? Only if you really care about dogs could you relate. I just wonder if i am going too far?

Thanks for your time and opinions. Dogs do give me such happiness.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
Please tell me if you think I AM crazy?

Beside this is Easter weekend too and my family wants leg of lamb for dinner? What would you do?

Yes, you are crazy. You should be having ham.

Personally, if you are into rescuing your next dog, I would keep it local and go into the shelter with the thought that you are at least saving one and someone else will take the others.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I agree with pancanis, go local - you can do it - there will be that special one waiting for you.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
Please tell me if you think I AM crazy? I have been looking for another dog as friend to my puppy. 3 months old and he won't let my old dog alone, wants to play. Old dog going through acupuncture and doesn't need teasing right now. (I wouldn't) So anyway, been searching on Petfinder for months and never getting accepted. Not easy! One woman told me I was too old and dogs would outlive me. Who knows how long we will be here? I was stunned but kept my mouth shut. She didn't sound like young person to me herself. She must be thinking of herself. I am not worrying about tomorrow. Just have to accept disappointments or otherwise.

Now I have two dogs about one year old that look perfect. Trouble is different locations of the US. One east other west. I do want both of them since I have looked for so long and I am crazy about dogs. Beside this is Easter weekend too and my family wants leg of lamb for dinner? What would you do? I want to rent car for weekend one is over 7 hours away. Is this crazy? Used to be I could just find dog at Humane Society. Trouble I can't go over there and see those dogs and not take all of them. Who could do that to the rest who want homes too? Only if you really care about dogs could you relate. I just wonder if i am going too far?

Thanks for your time and opinions. Dogs do give me such happiness.
this is what led to my friend having six cats. i can't imagine that much cat litter.

do u have room for them all?

don't think it is crazy but would be an awful lot of work.

babe
Old 03-19-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I ask at my local vets as well as they are often being approached with unwanted litters. Often signs up as well. Well there are here!! Local newspapers also have ads for unwanted pets. Can you get someone else to go into the shelter for you, knowing the sort of dog you would want, or ask the shelter to take some digital photos of dogs while you wait out the front?

Oh and I wouldn't get too young a second dog. Let the puppy have a couple of grown ups to learn from, but the new one can still be young enough to be fun.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
Executive Chef

This is a great idea, Bilby. Almost all vet clinics know of or even have in the clinic a dog that needs a good home. They may even throw in the vaccinations, too!
Old 03-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #7
Master Chef

Not sure where you live, but craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums also has listings for pets needing a good home. Most are free, some owners ask for a token (like $25) just to be sure the person taking their dog is serious about owning it.
Otherwise go with the local shelter as others have said.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:42 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Arrangements

Well, I have done my time going to shelters and looking for dog. It is too hard to choose one over another. Then to see how some of them have been abused. I can't take that every time. I figure I am too weak to make a choice. My friend recently got puppy and that dog won't let anyone pet it much. Seems to not want to bond with anyone. Must have been taken from his mother too soon. Who knows what happened? Now she has it and tells me if she returns it someone else will have same problem. She doesn't even like the dog anymore. At least these dogs have some kind of reference I can have from the fosters. I have been looking for dog since my two girls passed away last year in August. Now my old dog that was buddy to them is getting arthritis and acupuncture treatments but is starting to bite us. Must be having lot of pain and can't tell us. I love dogs but why does it have to hurt so much? Thankfully I can replace two I lost and start all over again. I am grateful to have dogs. They really are 'man's best friend'.

I know someone on this site told me they found dog on internet also. She did make the comment you will know which dog you want as soon as you see it. Dog I am getting is only 7 lbs.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #9
Executive Chef

The dog your friend has may not have been treated well, may have been tricked. That takes a lot of time to correct. Time, patience and a lot of love. She may not be suited to that dog or vice versa. So it may not be true that the dog will be the same with someone else. She may be well advised to seek a behaviourist's opinion of the dog and how she handles it.

Some of the cats I have taken in have been biters of the first degree. I used to have to take a spray bottle of water with me each time I left the house cos they would come up behind me and bite me. I have eventually brought every single one of them around to being affectionate, at least in their varying ways. None were quick processes and my tetanus injections have always been up to date!!! LOL One of the biters now has to be in close contact with me when I go to bed. If one of the other cats is too close to me, he gives them a slap so that he can get hold my 'paw'. (Needless to say, he gets pushed off the bed until he is prepared to be nice!!! Then when he comes back he gets his cuddle. But not until the other one has had his/hers!)

And I hate the idea of going to a shelter too. I would want to leave with everyone of the animals. I have been lucky that animals have always chosen me, not the other way around.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:35 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Great

Bilby, isn't that great to have your animals choose you? How beautiful. You sure go through something painful to get the cats to stop biting. I would be so fearful if anything bit me. After all what did you do to them that would make them bite? You sure are persistent and know not to run away from problem. Else what would the cats do if you didn't straighten them out? May be end to their biting would be to put them away.

I will mention about behaviorist to my friend about her dog. Just feels she got the dog now has to work it out. She doesn't mind the shelter. Not me I want to stay away, thankfully you feel the same way. I wanted to volunteer so often but just seeing what happens to them sure bothered me. People! Real mystery to figure out why someone would torment or abuse animal. People! Some are real creeps.

Always appreciate your posts no matter what you write about. Sure is insightful and educational. Thanks for being here and the time to respond.