Ethical consumerism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Halt! Politische Diskussion ist verboten!!

Um, was that directed at me? I thought we were discussing ethical issues, which is what I was referring to re: Chilean sea bass. To quote from the page I linked to above:

Summary
Slow-growing fish that breed late in life, Chilean seabass are naturally vulnerable to overfishing. And illegal fishing is rampant, especially in remote Antarctic waters where law enforcement is difficult. Fishing methods cause more problems: Bottom trawling can damage seafloor habitat, and longlining can take a bycatch of endangered albatrosses and other seabirds, which get hooked as they try to snatch bait, then end up drowning.

Sorry GG I read this one day too late! Yesterday we did grocery shopping and ALDI had, you guessed it, Chilean Sea Bass in the frozen section. I bought two bags, but hey at least after reading this I will be less inclined to buy it again!

Michael,
Yes Global Warming did start the day after the last Ice Age ended, but their point is that we are speeding it up by possibly tens of thousands of years thus throwing the cycle off.

Um, was that directed at me? I thought we were discussing ethical issues, which is what I was referring to re: Chilean sea bass.

It wasn't directed at you. I think it's okay for us to discuss what individuals might do to "consume ethically" but some people were discussing what actions governments ought to take. As you were... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom