"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #51
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
One real problem with Facebook is that you have to stay active and aware of privacy policy changes, and keep informed on feature changes, or otherwise you may find that policy/features have changed and could result in divulging more information than you intended.

The same applies to many or most Google services including Gmail and G+.

Note that my information comes from reading the numerous news articles about Facebook and Google privacy. I have never been a member of FB, nor does it appear that I will ever join.

I find far too much of my personal information on the Internet, not due to any fault of my own but due to ever wider indexing of all kinds of information sources. For example, property ownership records. I was very annoyed to discover that anybody knowing my real name can now Google my street address and unlisted home phone number. (However the information is out of date, I sold that house and now I'm cellphone only.)

I'm reacting to what I feel is too much personal information on the Internet by not joining social websites, so as to not contribute even more personal data. I don't mind discussing personal information nearly as much when I can retain my anonymity, such as here in the DC forum where my member name does not lead directly to my real name.
I was shocked by gmail/ google. I was setting up my childs computer and all of my information popped up on his screen at setup, including my entire list of contacts.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
I was shocked by gmail/ google. I was setting up my childs computer and all of my information popped up on his screen at setup, including my entire list of contacts.
Were you logged in to Gmail? I certainly can't see any of my friends' contacts.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #53
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
One real problem with Facebook is that you have to stay active and aware of privacy policy changes, and keep informed on feature changes, or otherwise you may find that policy/features have changed and could result in divulging more information than you intended.

The same applies to many or most Google services including Gmail and G+.

Note that my information comes from reading the numerous news articles about Facebook and Google privacy. I have never been a member of FB, nor does it appear that I will ever join.

I find far too much of my personal information on the Internet, not due to any fault of my own but due to ever wider indexing of all kinds of information sources. For example, property ownership records. I was very annoyed to discover that anybody knowing my real name can now Google my street address and unlisted home phone number. (However the information is out of date, I sold that house and now I'm cellphone only.)

I'm reacting to what I feel is too much personal information on the Internet by not joining social websites, so as to not contribute even more personal data. I don't mind discussing personal information nearly as much when I can retain my anonymity, such as here in the DC forum where my member name does not lead directly to my real name.
No wonder I couldn't find you in the phone book! So your name isn't really Greg W. Cooks?
Old 07-22-2012, 12:32 AM   #54
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Were you logged in to Gmail? I certainly can't see any of my friends' contacts.
Honestly I don't know how it happened. I was just going through a setup process and the next thing I know this whole screen list full of my info came up asking if I wanted to add it to his computer!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
No wonder I couldn't find you in the phone book! So your name isn't really Greg W. Cooks?
No, but my real first name is Greg. According to the 1990 US census my name was the #37th most common male given name in that year, almost 650,000 with same name.

I think it's a poor idea to use real last names on the Internet, for privacy reasons and for personal safety reasons.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:05 AM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

I totally agree with you Greg...first names are fine, but I would not use my last name on any forum
Old 07-23-2012, 05:27 AM   #57
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
NO! I was contacted by a stalker. Not safe. Too much like Big Brother.
Put a fake name on your FaceBook account. That is what I do, because I am not keen on folks looking at information about me, unless I know who they are.
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
No, but my real first name is Greg. According to the 1990 US census my name was the #37th most common male given name in that year, almost 650,000 with same name.

I think it's a poor idea to use real last names on the Internet, for privacy reasons and for personal safety reasons.
My youngest son is named Gregory. I have never called him Greg. When he is around me, he tells his wife and everyone to call him Gregory. I don't know how this started, but I think it is funny. Other folks can call him anything they want to. I just call him Gregory.

Only one of my kids has a nickname. But I am the only one who uses it.
Everyone else calls him by his full given name. When he was born, my father took one look at him and started to call him Spike. He said he was big enough for the name. So we all called him that. When he started school, the teacher would do roll call every morning. Then one day he came home crying. The teacher never called his name. He didn't even know his given name. So I had to go to school and tell the teacher to call him Spike. That is the only name he answers to. And he couldn't understand why he had to learn his given name. He had a very confusing first grade year.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #59
Executive Chef

'You can call me Ray, or you can call me J ...'
There was a fellow at work whose automobile license plate 'number' was "NOT BOB". Robert would go ballistic if you referred to him as Bob. In deference to his wishes, some people began referring to him as pizzaface.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
'You can call me Ray, or you can call me J ...'
There was a fellow at work whose automobile license plate 'number' was "NOT BOB". Robert would go ballistic if you referred to him as Bob. In deference to his wishes, some people began referring to him as pizzaface.
I don't understand the folks who use just an initial for their first name. J. Robert Smith. All I can think is that the parents gave that person a horrible first name.