"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

We dont put photos of ourselves online for security reasons

Old 03-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #42
Dishwasher

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Having a Like button on a thread here that is linked with FB is like giving your address to a mass mailer.
How does someone get your address by having a like button on a thread?

Quote:
It puts your posts into one of the biggest spammers hands with one click. I'd just as soon they have to work to get my info. It's bad enough having mods know your IP addy who divulge no information of their own. JMO
How does it give any spammer any information on you if someone likes your post?

This feature does not reveal to anyone on facebook who posted what. It displays the thread which has your username and profile, which is already public record, but does not tell the world that Joe Schmoe AKA <Some_Username> from Biloxi Mississippi posted this. If you thought your username and public profile were some kind of secret, you were wrong. It never has been.

When you like something on facebook, only you and your friends see that. Unless you are friends with a bunch of spammers, I don't see how you can say this.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #43
Dishwasher

Site Administrator

Here is the best way I can illustrate this on a Saturday where I am caffeined out and hungry for dinner. Before this feature, all of these services could view your thread:

Click image for larger version

Name:	before.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	17548

After this feature:

Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	17551

EDIT: updated the after graph..
Old 03-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #44
Certified Pretend Chef

Those DC members who also frequent DC on FB reveal their real names. Easier to make a connection. Which is why I stay off the FB DC page.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #45
Master Chef

I have never used my real name or specific (just general stuff) info anywhere on the internet. So going to FB and posting is no problem for me.

They can only know what you reveal.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
Having a Like button on a thread here that is linked with FB is like giving your address to a mass mailer.

How does someone get your address by having a like button on a thread?

That was an analogy

If I post a comment or a picture HERE, that should not give instant access to people on FB to that comment or picture if a FB user decides to Like the thread.
I do those things with full understanding that the information I post is public... insofar as THIS website is concerned, not this website linking my posts to another website.

The analogy is a person giving information to one entity without wanting another to have access to that information without at least a little work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
It puts your posts into one of the biggest spammers hands with one click. I'd just as soon they have to work to get my info. It's bad enough having mods know your IP addy who divulge no information of their own. JMO

How does it give any spammer any information on you if someone likes your post?

See above.
Believe it or not, not everyone likes Facebook. Not everyone wants access to what they post on one site so readily availlable to a site like FB. One might say that even falls under this forums copyright laws. Lord knows they've been brought up enough.
If a member here so wants to share a thread with their multitude of friends on FB, let them go through a little work to do so. An "instant share" negates the "coziness" of this forum.

This feature does not reveal to anyone on facebook who posted what. It displays the thread which has your username and profile, which is already public record, but does not tell the world that Joe Schmoe AKA <Some_Username> from Biloxi Mississippi posted this. If you thought your username and public profile were some kind of secret, you were wrong. It never has been.

When you like something on facebook, only you and your friends see that. Unless you are friends with a bunch of spammers, I don't see how you can say this.

It's easy, I don't do Facebook. Along with a few other members as well. I don't like anything to do with FB, as I alluded to in a previous post. Go up top and read it.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #47
Master Chef

Well said Pac. I'm another who wants nothing to do with Facebook and never have from the start. It beats me why that's so hard for anyone to understand.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #48
Dishwasher

Site Administrator

Quote:
If I post a comment or a picture HERE, that should not give instant access to people on FB to that comment or picture if a FB user decides to Like the thread.[/COLOR]
I do those things with full understanding that the information I post is public... insofar as THIS website is concerned, not this website linking my posts to another website.

The analogy is a person giving information to one entity without wanting another to have access to that information without at least a little work.
If you post a comment or picture here, it gives instant access to EVERYONE on the internet. Whether a facebook user likes it or not really doesn't matter does it? Your analogy is broken because what you post here is public to everyone, facebook user or not. A better analogy would be that you are giving a speech in a public area and then demanding nobody talk about it.

Quote:
Believe it or not, not everyone likes Facebook. Not everyone wants access to what they post on one site so readily availlable to a site like FB. One might say that even falls under this forums copyright laws. Lord knows they've been brought up enough.
If a member here so wants to share a thread with their multitude of friends on FB, let them go through a little work to do so. An "instant share" negates the "coziness" of this forum.
Believe it or not, not everyone dislikes facebook. Nobody has to use it. You can disable it in your user cp. There you go, no facebook usage for you. Frankly I don't understand how it concerns you after that. The same information is being posted with the same visibility as it was before, we are just making it easier for people who DO use facebook to share. We are not forcing anyone to share anything they were not before.

If this was copyright violation, then Google is nothing but one large violation of copyright law.

If a member wants to share a thread on facebook, I don't understand why you feel the need to hinder that. It does not affect you in any way.

Quote:

It's easy, I don't do Facebook. Along with a few other members as well. I don't like anything to do with FB, as I alluded to in a previous post. Go up top and read it.
Then it is easy still: don't use facebook. Problem solved.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We have all seen, (if you take the time to look) that sometimes Google is a better search engine than the one here at D.C., when looking for an obscure or older thread. The thing to remember, for good or ill, is that anytime you put something on the internet, anywhere, it can be found by anyone who takes the time to find it. It is just a fact of life. I understand that some folks are concerned about Facebook but the fact is that anything posted can be found, even if Facebook didn't exist.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #50
Dishwasher

Site Administrator

BTW, I have finished testing the modification. If you disable facebook in your user CP, it will not show the FB like button to anyone viewing a thread you STARTED. Please note, the site does use a cache for guests, so if you are testing this by turning the setting on, then off, you will not see it take effect right away.

If you already have it disabled, please view your current threads AS A GUEST and you will see the FB like button is not there.

Hopefully this will take care of anyone's concerns.

I do want to stress this fact though: even though you have disabled the FB like button from showing on your threads, all a person has to do is paste the link to your thread in their FB page and it is shared. There is nothing we can do about that and still maintain a public forum.