"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
Head Chef

Fashion advice please!

I just bought a cute little red dress I want to wear for work this winter, nice and casual. I have a cute pair of red plaid shoes I'm going to wear with it. What color tights would you wear? I think black would be too stark...maybe charcoal or grey?

Help....I don't wanna look like a dork.
Here is a picture of it in blue...I got it in red, though..

Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Head Chef

The shoes are cute, cute, cute. Like the black purse. That was fun. What are you wearing tomorrow? :)

Old 08-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
I just bought a cute little red dress I want to wear for work this winter, nice and casual. I have a cute pair of red plaid shoes I'm going to wear with it. What color tights would you wear? I think black would be too stark...maybe charcoal or grey?

Help....I don't wanna look like a dork.
Here is a picture of it in blue...I got it in red, though..

Great looking dress. The model in the picture is wearing tights, high heels and a huge bag and she looks terrific. As for the color of the tights, if you have gray or charcoal in the shoes go with that. If not then stick with black and carry a black bag to bring the whole look together. Post a picture of the shoes close up please.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I think I would try it with a skin-toned color. I agree that black would probably not look good.. and I don't think the models arms are too long for the dress.. those are quarter sleeves.. They end at the elbow, and have a bit of a flare at the ends. It's a very cute dress.. Do you have a good friend who would give you an honest opinion if you showed her?
Old 08-23-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
Head Chef

I'm only 5'2" so the dress wont be as short on me.

My work is VERY casual. Some girls come in sweats! LOL! There are only 12 of us in the office. I just like dresses!

Here is a picture of the shoes I found online

Old 08-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
Master Chef

I'd wear one solid color thights/hose and shoes otherwise your going to break yourself up and you don't want to do that being 5'2". I would go with a softer black. I'd just have the dress be your only pop of color.
Since its casual you could even get by with black boots too (when the weather permits). I think they look best with a thinner heel.

Those shoes would be adorable with jeans and a red top though and for a purse pull out one of the colors in the shoe. Remember your shoes don't have to match your purse like it used to be.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Angie....Ya got blue eyes????

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
I'm only 5'2" so the dress wont be as short on me.

My work is VERY casual. Some girls come in sweats! LOL! There are only 12 of us in the office. I just like dresses!

Here is a picture of the shoes I found online

Whoa! Now the whole picture changes. The shoes are blue and red not black and red as I first thought. (Great looking shoes by the way.) And you're only 5'2. Somehow I pictured you taller, like the model. Her sleeves are not too long, they're 3/4 sleeves and the dress is definitely not too short but it will be longer on you and if you wear black or gray hose with plaid shoes you'll look way out of proportion. And the shoes will be a different color than the hose. Frankly I would take SizzlininIN advice and wear the shoes with jeans. That would look fabulous. I would wear the red dress with black hose and black shoes just like the model is doing that way you won't look like you're standing in a hole because your legs will look longer with the same color hose and shoes. Tie the whole thing together with a black and red bag. Something like this: The bag on the left adds a little interest with the pattern.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Miss Angie....Ya got blue eyes????

I sure do!

Old 08-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Whoa! Now the whole picture changes. The shoes are blue and red not black and red as I first thought. (Great looking shoes by the way.) And you're only 5'2. Somehow I pictured you taller, like the model. Her sleeves are not too long, they're 3/4 sleeves and the dress is definitely not too short but it will be longer on you and if you wear black or gray hose with plaid shoes you'll look way out of proportion. And the shoes will be a different color than the hose. Frankly I would take SizzlininIN advice and wear the shoes with jeans. That would look fabulous. I would wear the red dress with black hose and black shoes just like the model is doing that way you won't look like you're standing in a hole because your legs will look longer with the same color hose and shoes. Tie the whole thing together with a black and red bag. Something like this: The bag on the left adds a little interest with the pattern.
Actually, they have black soles and black patent trim around them...see the shiny stuff? That's the black patent. There is blue in there as well.