"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Finally!!!

After much prodding by DH, and ridicule by DD I made a Facebook page. Better late than never!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Master Chef

No amount of prodding or ridicule can make me do it! I've dug my heels in this long and it just won't happen. It makes me sad to hear you are doing something that has been against your better judgement. Facebook isn't for me for many reasons. I hope it works out for you however.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

i have been signed on face book for sometime. last week i really went on for the first time. i still think it is silly and probably won't mess with it all that much.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishedTopaz View Post
After much prodding by DH, and ridicule by DD I made a Facebook page. Better late than never!
There are quite a few of us DCers there. I am Barbara Leonard (brown hair, red shirt) on there.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
For all the dislike Facebook gets, it certainly serves it's purpose. You can make it as private as you want it to be, and has ultimately been the best way to keep in the loop with my friends/family I have, everywhere from Amsterdam to Tokyo.

Congrats!

Barb, I will have to look you up (though I think you and James may already be on mine).
Old 02-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
Sous Chef

An old girlfriend of mine messaged DH and that settled it, I made the page and spent the next 2 hours talking and catching up with a girl that was one of my best friends in grammar school. I am not a person that makes friends easily so this is a good thing for me.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Master Chef

Social Network was a good film. I do FB from time to time.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I only go there when a family member tells me by email or phone there are new pics of the grandkids. I just can't put my private business out there. And I refuse to put the names of my family out there. That is their choice to do so. Not mine. I really try to respect the privacy of others.

There is a group of friends of mine. Seven of us all together. We have met all over the country. Calif., Tenn., Georgia, Mass., La., etc. Not once have I ever typed their real name in an email, or addressing them. I have never even asked their permission to do so. I wouldn't have the audcaity to do so. As a result of my respect for their privacy, somehow I became secretary to this group. I know all their anniversaries, birthdays, kids names, birthdays, and everything else. Even their private phone numbers at work. Every so often one of them will want to send a card to another and will ask me for their address. That is all I send them. The info of that one person. And no more.

There is a member here that I have had dinner with. And I would never violate her privacy. BTW, she is a lovely and very intelligent person. I really ejoyed her company.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
Wine Guy

I use it all the time. It's not that scary once you get used to it. It's amazing some of the people I've been able to reconnect with. Friends I haven't seen in decades have sent me friend requests.

It's also a great way to keep in touch with family. I'm not a great one for picking up the phone, but it's pretty easy to post things that are going on in my life. You can target your posts to specific groups, so I can post one message for family members, a different message for co-workers, etc.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I don't do Facebook, I got tired of fending off all the friend requests from people who had no kindness for me in school. And my family, would only send me requests to play the stupid games. Frustrating.