"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
Do we have to pick just one?

Growing up in New England, there was a Dunkin Donuts about every mile or so. We used to say that Dad trained his car to find all of the DDs along the route travelled, because their coffee is second to none. Even my Caribou Coffee (straight coffee now, not the more exotic beverages) can't compete. If I see a DD (which doesn't happen in MN) I stop. Wherever we travel, if I see one, I want to stop.

As others have mentioned, the New England seafood is the best. I love seafood, but generally do not order/eat it here because frankly it is lousy. That said, about 2 months ago I found the best NE clam chowder in the Midwest, but it was $6 for a (small) bowl at a ritzy restaurant.

If I ever make it back to the Cape, the one restaurant that comes most fondly to mind is Sandy's. Plus, having read GB's disheartening experience there, I want to see if it is indeed as bad as he mentioned, or if it was a bad day . . . . . one can hope, right?

The other place I'd go out of my way for is Friendly's. Another NE restaurant that I miss.

Okay, I guess I didn't mention a food specifically (well except coffee). DD, Friendly's and Sandy's I would go out of my way for, the latter again mainly to confirm GB's experience. If his experience still is true, then scratch Sandy's.
There really is a DD on every corner here. We go there so much, my 3 year old knows the motto. Everytime we pass one, he says, "America runs on Dunkin". Perhaps we go too much.

I will go out of my way for several foods. S w a n k y Frank's hot dogs about 30 miles south of my town where I get their chili dog and top it with crispy onion rings. My favorite Indian pancakes with chicken curry dipping sauce is about 15 miles away. And the pizza I grew up on is in Norwalk, CT, about 25 miles from me.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #12
Cook

Probably something Asian.
There is a little Hole-in-the-wall (strip mall) Asian Restaurant on the way in on I 20 to Atlanta. We had some really fantastic Sizzling Rice Soup. I'd go for that again.
(Anyone have a recipe???)

Old 02-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Breezy, tell me about the French place. Since it's only 20 minutes away from you in Culpeper, I'm guessing it's not Chez Marc in Manassas Park.

I've seen the Great Maine Lobster truck at the intersection of Routes 15 and 50 many times on my way to the Leesburg outlet mall. With your ringing endorsement, I may just have to stop the next time.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:19 PM   #14
Master Chef

Mudbug - the "bistro" I mentioned was/is "Tadpole's Cafe" in Warrenton. It's in the shopping center at the corner of Rtes. 17 & 29 (also housing Staples & PetCo).

"Tadpole's" is - as far as I know - still owned by the folks who used to own the very-well-thought-of "Frogs & Friends" in Marshall, which they sold. They also had a "Tadpole's Cafe" in Marshall as well, but I never visited that one & am not sure if it's still there.

I will, however, enthusiastically give high marks to the one in Warrenton. The food & service is both well-priced & excellent. My husband & I have eaten there a number of times & have never been disappointed in any way.

As far as the Great Maine Lobster folks - they're GREAT!! It's family-run operation - some of them here in VA; some in Maine - & everything is fresh, fresh, fresh. The lobster bisque is quite pricey, but boy was it good - chock full of lobster chunks. My husband nearly licked his bowl clean - lol!! And like I said before, their soft-shell clams are fabulous as well. Sand-free, & I have yet to have to toss even so much as ONE clam for not opening, etc. Unbeatable. The only way I think you could top them would be if you dug the clams yourself - lol!!
Old 02-04-2007, 05:01 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I would go, and have gone, out of my way for good sushi. Really good sushi/sashimi/nigiri/maki rolls just makes me extremely happy!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Oh really Elf??
Old 02-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
So no one is going to put me in woodshed?
Old 02-05-2007, 09:11 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
there`s so many actualy, but a fave of mine is the Huge (8 inch+) Yorshire puddings, packed with sliced roast beef and then filled with gravy :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:12 AM   #19
Head Chef

I just can't choose one. I can't. I have to resort to foods we have actually gone out of our way to get to answer, and its still a list. I've picked two, at great difficulty, (there are countless stories - like the night DH NEEDED scampi, the car would not start, we were in Oxford, in the middle of the night and DH hired a taxi to drive us some half hour and back to buy some frozen scampi.....)

The right bread. On the A303 from London to the West country there is a bakery. Its bread is famous with the weekending crowd. We once made the one and a half hour journey for two loafs of this bread.

The right dim sum. I know, I raise my favourite dim sum joint in London all the time, but just as we have driven out of london for the bread, we would drive in for dim sum. My NYC family have given up on dim sum and only eat it when they have flown in to London, although, admittedly, they rarely say they have made the five hour flight JUST for the dim sum.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #20
Master Chef

I love cold cuts, but not the American kind, Europian, Hungarian mostly. Nobody in the world makes better salami. Infortunetely it's not redily available in kosher variety. I was in Israel couple of years ago and wen to this amasing Beligian restaraunt where they had all kind of home made cold cuts. It was outstanding. The best i ever had in my life. I'd go back there just for that.