"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 08:17 AM   #51
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
Oops sorry GB!

Ya ithink thats a great challenge!

Old 09-06-2006, 08:17 AM   #52
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles
I think though, that this debate has been a productive one.
I agree Kyles. So far it has been a good discussion for the most part. I just do not want to see that change (not that I expect it would have)

Old 09-06-2006, 08:25 AM   #53
Head Chef

Yep...I trangressed too...apologies to all.

Thanks for pulling us back in line, GB.

Um, I'd like your healthy recipes. It would be a good thread...like the what did you eat today thread, but kind of more focused and proactive....good healthy and low fat meals we enjoyed and would recommend.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:17 AM   #54
Senior Cook

Guys & gals, I won't even begin to pretend I know the answer to "Global Obesity". I would like to reinterate some points already made and possibly add another or two:

Providing for the family, (eating) can be, and is, an economic issue for most. But, that does not neccessarily mean that, low to moderate income, families must eat un-healthy. There are healthy, modest priced foods. These foods may not be as inticing as the "Chef-boy-R-dee's" though. But I can attest to being raised healthy in a low-income home. My mom spooned beans, taters and soups on my plate more times than I care to remember. God love her!

Secondly, I'm 47 yrs old. I remember vividly studying the REQUIRED courses in health & nutrition in the public school system. No excuses there.

Thirdly, there are persons that, due to their personal health issues, whatever they be, have problems with "overweight". Some of you have told us about your own issues. This type thing is REAL. Make no mistake. Some sweet people have REAL problems with weight.

Lastly:

I've done this. Take a stroll back in time. Do a search on vintage photographs. Whatever subject suits your fancy, be it farming, swimming, whatever. You don't have to go back very many years. Actually, just one generation will show the difference. The genral populace was thinner, only one generation ago.

Our obesity is not a product of evolution. Our obesity is not due to lack of education. Our obesity is due to general change in lifestyle. One major change is less manual labor. Our housewifes have dishwashers, clothes driers, and many other things to make life better. (This is just an example, use your imagination to come up with others. I love housewives! God bless them!) We have conditioned climate wherever we go. (Automobiles, homes, work-place, etc... all conditioned. We don't even sweat anymore)

We are compulsive about satisfying ourselves, beyond healthy. Food is one area that we do this. "ALL-U-Can-Eat" buffet? Good gosh!

Human's have always had a natural desire to make life better. From the stone-age till now, there has been a tremendous amount of progress made to better the human life. The sad thing is, the scales started tipping the other way in the last century. In the natural human quest to make life better, we have reached a point that we are now un-healthy people.

Marion
Old 09-06-2006, 10:50 AM   #55
Assistant Cook

Oooh...we had a burning converstaion in our house last night about whether the govt were really doing anything worthwhile tkaing away sweets and salt and pepper from schools. I said yes, but then I got accused of being naive and that skinny people have just as many problems and that just because someone is fat doens't mean it's because they eat too much sugar. Discuss...
Old 09-06-2006, 10:59 AM   #56
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy2006V2
Oooh...we had a burning converstaion in our house last night about whether the govt were really doing anything worthwhile tkaing away sweets and salt and pepper from schools. I said yes, but then I got accused of being naive and that skinny people have just as many problems and that just because someone is fat doens't mean it's because they eat too much sugar. Discuss...
As mentioned above, please no political discussions. Thank you.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:08 PM   #57
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Jen
See i read these thread and im almost embarassed by the amount of people who are ignorant.

Kyles i applaud you for your weight loss I too suffer from bad PCOS and im a cancer survivor. My weight came on with those 2 things combined

i dont smell bad
im probably fitter aka can run walk climb swim etc then most "skinny people" Remember being skinny doesnt mean your in shape!
I dont go out and "pig out" infact i can eat salads and gain 10 lbs its just my genetic make up"

This just baffles me.. So im overweight.. but what about the skinny person whos addictited to drugs should she pay more as well?

Not all overweight ppl eat "40lbs of junkfood".

I think your comments are very out of line and lord hopes that you never gain a pound!!

My problem with BMI is it isnt very accurate. they say that a woman who is 5'5 who weights over 150 is overweight.. they dont take into consideration Frame if they play rugby or anything like that.. I think BMI is just not advanced enough to use to judge things.

In the uk this week they released an article about IVF saying woman who are overweight cannot have this treatment.. meanwhile they dont take into consideration people like Kyles and i who have PCOS and all though our BMI might not be the best we are still very healthy people

society as a whole needs a lesson IMHO
5'5" 150? I'm 6' 220

im no string bean myself.

im taling about these people who are completely round, like 400-500 lbs and all they do all day is sit around and eat and they can barely move and clean their bodies.

lol @ you being 150 lbs and being offended by my post.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #58
Everymom

This thread is closed. No more "passionate" comments from anyone.

Closed Thread