"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Thank you for posting this, Jon. Not only is this fascinating to me as your life is so different from my own, but it's great to hear a story about people being good to each other.
Working in the constant stream of horrible news and even worse politics, where everyone is at each other's throats, this definitely brightened up another long day at work for me. So again, thanks.
Yep. +1

Old 10-28-2017, 04:37 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Wonderful news, thanks Jon! I remember when my Uncle lost his dairy herd and the community support was almost overwhelming. Helped him and my Aunt get back on their feet.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:02 PM   #13
Master Chef

Jon, I hope your boss's health improves. Thank you for sharing. Loved the pictures and the stories here of community coming together to help out someone in need. Very uplifting, especially in today's world.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:38 AM   #14
Master Chef

Another "thanks,Jon" for that positive story. I bet all of those folks who came out to help were very glad for all of the times that you and your coworkers probably helped others in need. I hope your boss is feeling better soon. Nice to hear that this happens lots of other places, as mentioned by Katie, Rick, and PF. Good is everywhere, but sometimes you need it to hit you over the head to appreciate it.

Quote:
...Working in the constant stream of horrible news and even worse politics, where everyone is at each other's throats, this definitely brightened up another long day at work for me...
"If it bleeds, it leads" has never been more true than in today's news cycle. Besides that, every newscast has to start with "Breaking News" because, you know, you might have missed that story over the last couple of days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
...there are still some true character values among people who are never seen on the TV news.
One of the local stations (Number "5" on the display) runs a segment called "Five for Good". They tell stories about a special way someone or some group goes out of their way to help another ordinary person or group. Heart-warming news, to be sure. I must admit that all of the local stations do a good job of bringing a story like that to the news each night.

Our neighborhood might be "city", but everyone around here does what they can to help each other out even in simple ways. Being neighborly has gone out of style so many places. I'm glad so many of us live where helping each other is more the norm than the exception.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:46 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Wonderful news, thanks Jon! I remember when my Uncle lost his dairy herd and the community support was almost overwhelming. Helped him and my Aunt get back on their feet.
Having worked with 4-H kids, I honestly believe it all starts with them. They see their parents reach out to their neighbors in need and pitch right in with them. No questions asked. When I had a kid whose horse had colic, the other kids pitched in taking turns walking the horse back and forth all night until the vet could get there. No one had to ask. The just did it. It is what their parents would have done. And it is what they do. When you grow up on a farm, or even live on one regardless of your age, you reach out to your neighbor in need.
Very happy for you Jon.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:13 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Sadly, we don't have a local news station in these parts. All of our broadcast news come out Los Angeles and like I've often said, LA is 60miles south and a whole world away. There's lots of good news about people helping others here. I'm sitting next to a person who does more for others than anyone I've ever known, and by the way Addie, he wasn't raised on a farm.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:41 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Sadly, we don't have a local news station in these parts. All of our broadcast news come out Los Angeles and like I've often said, LA is 60miles south and a whole world away. There's lots of good news about people helping others here. I'm sitting next to a person who does more for others than anyone I've ever known, and by the way Addie, he wasn't raised on a farm.
It sure doesn't take being from or raised in a rural area to care about and help other people. We live in a city with a large percentage of children eligible for free breakfast and lunch. When DH was a soccer coach, it was not unusual for him to buy a meal for a player who needed something to eat before practice or a game. When a hurricane, or even just a nor'easter, hits, people here help each other remove tree limbs and other debris. It doesn't make the national news, but this kind of thing happens all over the country all the time.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:28 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Please, let's not downplay Farmer Jon's post about his experience that he shared, or make it seem like no big deal, that it happens all of the time.

It may happen more frequently than some folks realize, but it is still worthy of note, each time.

In the midst of news story after news story of depressing events, it was a pleasant addition to read.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:35 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Please, let's not downplay Farmer Jon's post about his experience that he shared, or make it seem like no big deal, that it happens all of the time.

It may happen more frequently than some folks realize, but it is still worthy of note, each time.

In the midst of news story after news story of depressing events, it was a pleasant addition to read.
+1
Old 10-30-2017, 07:21 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Since these kinds of things happen more frequently than people realize, and they're worthy of note each time, then reading more of these stories amplifies Jon's experience rather than downplaying it. They're all special.