"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-30-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
Head Chef

Has Anyone Ever Put Their Dog on A Diet?!

I took my 2 year old basset mix to the vet on Saturday for her yearly shots. Guess what, she weighed in at 73 lbs and the vet said she was F-A-T. He said she must go on a diet. She gets a ton of exercise (2 walk a day) and premium dog chow. However, she does love her peanut butter and I do give her treats. The treats and peanut butter goodness has stopped immedately. The vet said I should give her one cup of dry chow mixed with one half a can of green beans (feed this twice a day) and to give no other treats, except she can have ice chips and baby carrots.

Lily is not a happy camper. I thought she would wolf down the green beans but she turned her nose up at them. My other little guy (Buster, 25 lb terrier) devoured the green beans.

So I know this is going to take a long time but I'm hoping the new diet, plus the removal of Lily's treats and peanut butter will help her shed the pounds.

I feel terrible about this, I knew Lily had put on a little weight over the winter but I had no idea she was so overweight. Lily never gets people food or table scraps and I'm not a bad dog mommy.

Its going to take alot of willpower on my part to ignore her sad hound dog eyes.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

In answer to "Has Anyone Ever Put Their Dog on A Diet?!", the answer is yes. When my one dog had knee surgery I brought her down to 88-90 lbs from 94-96. She looks lean, but not skinny. There just isn't any fat on her. My GSD I reduced by 5 lbs, but I did that over the course of 5-6 months because it was something I wanted to do and not immediate health related. It was hard to see she had gotten a little heavy because of her coat. My bad.

I don't really understand your vet's recommended meals, I only hope you are at least buying sodium free canned green beans if you are following that "interesting" advice.

Was there any reason you just couldn't feed less? Or reduce your dog's meals to make up for the treats you were giving (only in lesser quantities for the diet)? Or feed a reduced protein and fat dog food? Did he/she feel the sugar found in canned green beans would increase her metabolism?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Master Chef

Booter at one time was a 20 lb Chihuahua. Poor guy, we realized that he was in trouble when we went for a walk one day and realized that Booter was not behind us anymore. Turned around and found him sitting in the middle of the path panting. We knew then we needed to do something.

At the time, we were just feeding them by keeping food in the bowl at all times. (Big mistake!)

So Booter is now down to a healthy 9 1/2 lbs and we did it by serving 2 meals a day, portioned controlled. It is the best thing I could have ever done for both of my boys. Boots gets about 1/4 cup of Nutro for senior dogs and Binks gets slightly less Blue Buffalo for younger doggies.

I will say that the diet above is odd, but I think you can achieve the same results by feeding quality food, portioned controlled at set times of the day. If they turn their nose up at it, take the food up and then feed again at the next scheduled time. They will eventually eat when they get hugry enough. Also limit treats. I only feed treats maybe once or twice a week.

Keep us posted on your furbaby's progress!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
Master Chef

I will also mention that it took over a year to get Boots down to a healthy weight. But when we took him back to the vet, they were so amazed!
Old 03-31-2008, 01:14 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

i wish the person that lets their dog crap on my lawn would put the beast on a diet.

holy crap! literally!

although, it does make a good flaming paper bag filler.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:40 AM   #6
Master Chef

Never owned a dog but own 4 cats and was told that one of them was overweight (mind you she is 11 years old and in perfect health ( I paid for a $70 bloodworkup that said so) and she lives both indoors and outdoors and is still very active....the other three are at normal weights...how do you monitor that.....well, I don't....they all eat from the same bowl and it's food for senior cats though the other 3 aren't there yet and we don't feed table scraps though one of them does supplement his diet with lizards-yechhhhhh!
Old 03-31-2008, 06:42 AM   #7
Master Chef

Sorry if I went off breed here.......
Old 03-31-2008, 07:15 AM   #8
Head Chef

I had to put my Kika (the little one in my avitar) on a diet by reducing food and treats.

Now we have had to watch Kenzo's weight (the big one in my avitar). He's on prednisone during the summer for his bad allergies and has gained some weight. About two weeks ago we switched their food from Candidae to EVO to see if that will help with his non-seasonal allergies. We also cut out all treats during this 30 day trial. I'm hoping this will help with his weight as well.

I've been fortunate with my dogs. I've never had to portion control them. They only eat when they are hungry (except for treats), and really don't eat that much. Since I switched them to EVO, they eat a lot less.

Just remember, you are doing this for your pups health, as much as she may give you the sad Basset eyes!! Good luck.

Oh, mine don't like green beans either!
Old 03-31-2008, 07:55 AM   #9
Head Chef

I thought the green bean diet sounded weird too, so when I got home from the vet's office, I googled it and turns out that is a common recommendation for helping your dog lose weight. Lily is getting a reduced amount of dry chow and the rest of her meal is being replaced with green beans. Right now she is getting low sodium green beans (canned) but I think I'm going to get some frozen green beans and microwave them. If I cut the beans up really fine, she'll eat them.

She is a big dog on little legs, and she is like her mama, she loves food!

Here are the sad dog eyes:

Old 03-31-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
Master Chef

Awe Toots, what sweet babies!!! I can tell she loves here mama!!!

Lots of folks have no problems with leaving food in the bowl. But over time it could pose a problem.

Another good thing about having portion controlled set meal times is that it keeps your companion on a regular poop schedule. This is helpful for many different reasons since you know about when to let your dog out side or if they become irregular due to some illness.