"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-04-2014, 04:24 AM   #31
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative
Yes I draw the line at fleas and mosquitoes, i.e. have no qualms in killing them.

However, we pass on the fear of spiders to our children and it is mostly irrational (unless you live somewhere that spiders are poisonous). They can be removed with the glass and card technique, i.e. placing a large glass over them then slipping a card underneath to form a trap. Then they can be taken outdoors and set free.

Also, if a fly is in the room, I find that by opening a window they will gravitate to the draught and fly out. No need for flysprays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Some reptiles, some fish, shrews, platypus and some insects are venomous. Poison is generally associated with some plants and laboratories.
Of course...I was discussing the harmless ones that we needlessly kill (and offering a solution), e.g. just because we are scared of a spider.
__________________

__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:09 AM   #32
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Of course...I was discussing the harmless ones that we needlessly kill (and offering a solution), e.g. just because we are scared of a spider.
Faced with a native venomous snake, how would you handle it?

Invasive species should be destroyed on sight!
__________________

__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #33
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Faced with a native venomous snake, how would you handle it?

Invasive species should be destroyed on sight!
You have missed my point....I was addressing HARMLESS creatures.
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #34
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
You have missed my point....I was addressing HARMLESS creatures.
No, I got your "point" loud and clear. Instinct is what drives creature behavior. It is human stupidity that makes them "HARMFUL". I get all warm and fuzzy every time some moron gets bit trying to kill a venomous snake.

I tried to explain to someone on another forum that his dog was not bitten by a copperhead, by describing what happens after a crotalid envenomation. He couldn't grasp that the venom begins the digestive process, causing necrotic tissue damage. His dog had some swelling and redness in the "bite" area and was "fit as a fiddle" the next morning. The guy had let the dog out at 10:00 PM to potty, heard a yelp and the dogs paw had some redness and swelling. He went outside, saw a copperhead and killed it with a shotgun. Even though he didn't witness the "bite", the copperhead was the culprit. You just can't fix stupid.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #35
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative You have missed my point....I was addressing HARMLESS creatures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
No, I got your "point" loud and clear. Instinct is what drives creature behavior. It is human stupidity that makes them "HARMFUL". I get all warm and fuzzy every time some moron gets bit trying to kill a venomous snake.

I tried to explain to someone on another forum that his dog was not bitten by a copperhead, by describing what happens after a crotalid envenomation. He couldn't grasp that the venom begins the digestive process, causing necrotic tissue damage. His dog had some swelling and redness in the "bite" area and was "fit as a fiddle" the next morning. The guy had let the dog out at 10:00 PM to potty, heard a yelp and the dogs paw had some redness and swelling. He went outside, saw a copperhead and killed it with a shotgun. Even though he didn't witness the "bite", the copperhead was the culprit. You just can't fix stupid.
Anyone can get bitten by a venomous snake...that's a totally different point and NOT what I was addressing. Of course action should be taken. That's so obvious that it hardly needs pointing out does it? Well perhaps to you, since you think I have this same kind attitude to poisonous creatures...i.e. you say you got my point but clearly didn't! So, what you are laughing at is your own misunderstanding! Ah well, never mind....

However, stupid is killing a harmless creature just because of being scared...stupid, unnecessary and unkind.
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:03 AM   #36
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post

Anyone can get bitten by a venomous snake...that's a totally different point and NOT what I was addressing. Of course action should be taken. That's so obvious that it hardly needs pointing out does it? Well perhaps to you, since you think I have this same kind attitude to poisonous creatures...i.e. you say you got my point but clearly didn't! So, what you are laughing at is your own misunderstanding! Ah well, never mind....

However, stupid is killing a harmless creature just because of being scared...stupid, unnecessary and unkind.
What action should be taken?
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #37
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
What action should be taken?
Depends on the situation. I was on an Italian mountainside and suddenly confronted by a snake that reared its head in attacking position. I had nothing on me to use for protection so I turned to my natural instincts. (Some might have fled but I felt that might lead to a sudden attack).

I drew on my knowledge that dogs respond to the tone of voice, rather than the words....so I spoke slowly and softly to the snake. The attacking position is due to the snake feeling threatened. I tried to reassure the snake that I was not about to kill it....then, slowly, walked away!

Let me guess what your reply would be? Shoot it? That was not an option I had and the snake had every right to be there since the mountain was its home, i.e. it was me that was trespassing.
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I drew on my knowledge that dogs respond to the tone of voice, rather than the words....so I spoke slowly and softly to the snake. The attacking position is due to the snake feeling threatened. I tried to reassure the snake that I was not about to kill it....then, slowly, walked away!
Dogs have evolved with people over thousands of years to respond to our voices and body language. Don't expect other animals to behave the same way. And btw, dogs do learn words.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:49 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,923
This just came through my Facebook feed: http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and...venom-do-blood
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #40
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative
I drew on my knowledge that dogs respond to the tone of voice, rather than the words....so I spoke slowly and softly to the snake. The attacking position is due to the snake feeling threatened. I tried to reassure the snake that I was not about to kill it....then, slowly, walked away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Dogs have evolved with people over thousands of years to respond to our voices and body language. Don't expect other animals to behave the same way. And btw, dogs do learn words.
Yes of course dogs learn words...but, as I said, they respond more to tone than the words. Try saying "good doggie" in a shouting, scolding voice and you will see! I am spiritually focused and used my intuition regarding tone of voice. Voices emanate a resonance i.e. a vibration - it is universally so.
Also, my tactic worked!
__________________

__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.