Hate is a strong word.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the most dangerous rattle snakes is the pygmy rattler, found in Ontario. The reason it's dangerous is because it's hard to hear the rattle and people step on them totally unawares. The poor rattler feels attacked and does what nature tells it to do in when it is attacked.

Most rattlers, if not totally surprised avoid humans. We're just too big to eat. A rattler would rather not waste venom on something it can't eat, unless it's absolutely necessary.

I *really* wish you would stop saying "here in the south" as if you speak for all Southerners.

Sorry GG. Nothing personal. But snakes are abhorred in the south and thats just a fact.

I have a different take on this... most folks have a hard time distinguishing one snake from another and while many are harmless, some are not. One of the big issues is that snakes often turn up in surprising places where you don't expect them. People know this and perhaps overact.

Years ago I was bitten by a copperhead in western NC. I was IN my house, in fact I was in my bathroom and sat down on "the seat". There was a snake behind the hinges and it bit me. I spent many days in the hospital and all these years later, still have a a visceral reaction to snakes, regardless of the variety. In my head I know most are harmless, still my first inclination is to get a shovel.....

The difference is you are afraid of snakes. Many people just hate them for no reason. They kill them on site without knowing or caring if the snake is dangerous or not.
This is common in the south.

I've heard that it will keep mosquitoes away also. Not so much, ticks. I had one dog that would get huge swellings at mosquito bite sites. I think she would have preferred a mosquito bite than the smell of that bath oil. :)

Since my sense of smell doesn't work it doesn't bother me one bit! LOL I spend very little time outside due to my allergies. Maybe that's why I don't get bit.

We don't have poisonous spiders living here, so I wasn't worried. There was a spider in my kitchen sink and it didn't seem able to get out by itself. I let it crawl onto my hand and put it on the window sill. I'm a live and let live kinda woman.

You done right. I do the same thing as you - save spiders. I am amazed at people being terrified at non poisonous spiders.

One of the most dangerous rattle snakes is the pygmy rattler, found in Ontario. The reason it's dangerous is because it's hard to hear the rattle and people step on them totally unawares. The poor rattler feels attacked and does what nature tells it to do in when it is attacked.

Most rattlers, if not totally surprised avoid humans. We're just too big to eat. A rattler would rather not waste venom on something it can't eat, unless it's absolutely necessary.

I believe that in your neck of the woods, they are called Massasauga. Our pigmy RS is a little different.;)

I believe that in your neck of the woods, they are called Massasauga. Our pigmy RS is a little different.;)
I didn't realize there were other pygmy rattlesnakes, or I would have specified. You are correct in the name, but we usually misspell it Mississauga, probably because there is a town of that name in Ontario.

Sorry GG. Nothing personal. But snakes are abhorred in the south and thats just a fact.

The difference is you are afraid of snakes. Many people just hate them for no reason. They kill them on site without knowing or caring if the snake is dangerous or not.

And with good reason. Most of the poisonous snakes in this country are found in the south or the western part of the country. They are cold blooded and won't find the warmth they need to survive up here in the northern part of the country. :angel:

It's not a fact; it's your opinion, based on your experience. My experience is different.

I would have to go with Roll Bones. When I lived in Texas, you would see folks driving down the road and they would suddenly swerve. Not to avoid, but to kill. Usually a snake crossing the road. Any snake. I never saw anyone stop, wait for the snake to finish crossing and then continue. Nor did I ever see anyone stop, get out and ask the snake if it was friendly or not. Had I been driving, I would have swerve to kill one also. The Pirate used to catch them to turn them in for the bounty money. :angel:

It's not a fact; it's your opinion, based on your experience. My experience is different.

I bet if you polled folks from the south, and folks from up north, the majority of snake haters and purposeful killers of snakes reside in the south.

I am not saying its only the south. But I am saying its generational and many people here would prefer a snake less world.
Fact.

I have lived here 20 years. I have met exactly one person in all these years that would give a snake the benefit of the doubt and allow it to leave on its own. The rest would have chopped of his head on sight.
Fact.

"I don't like spiders and snakes, but that ain't what it takes to love me...." courtesy of Jim Stafford.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I live in the varmint and pest capitol of the world: The South. We have all 3 varieties of venomous snakes and most types of venomous spiders. What do I hate? Pests that cause PAIN. That would be those nasty German Yellowjackets, fire ants, and horse/deer flies. I've been stung by yellowjackets right through my clothing. The stings are so intense that they cause muscle cramps and itch for a week. Being bitten by a horse fly is like someone pulling a chunk of your skin out with pliers. And they're relentless....they never give up until they bite you or you smash them first. And fire ants. I have no idea how such a small insect can produce such an irritating stinging sensation. Here in the south, one bout with the fire ants and you never sit down on a lawn or the ground again without inspecting the premises VERY carefully!

I live in the varmint and pest capitol of the world: The South. We have all 3 varieties of venomous snakes and most types of venomous spiders. What do I hate? Pests that cause PAIN. That would be those nasty German Yellowjackets, fire ants, and horse/deer flies. I've been stung by yellowjackets right through my clothing. The stings are so intense that they cause muscle cramps and itch for a week. Being bitten by a horse fly is like someone pulling a chunk of your skin out with pliers. And they're relentless....they never give up until they bite you or you smash them first. And fire ants. I have no idea how such a small insect can produce such an irritating stinging sensation. Here in the south, one bout with the fire ants and you never sit down on a lawn or the ground again without inspecting the premises VERY carefully!

We have all of those, other than fire ants, in the Midwest as well. Our yellowjackets must have been the German ones, the stings last forever. Horse flies and deer flies are prevalent in both Canada and Mexico! And I got chiggers from sitting on the grass in Florida, itchy, but not like the yellow jacket stings.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Almost everyone in my family is highly allergic to bees and such - needing to have allergy kits type of allergic. And they are all allergic to the cillian antibiotic family. Except me. Guess I got lucky - or unlucky.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

We seem to have an abundance of tarantula hawks (wasps) this year. UGH. They're enormous (2" in length), can be aggressive, and have a very painful sting. I haven't seen any in the back yard yet today, maybe they have moved on. I sure hope so, my 3 yr. old grandson was here yesterday and I couldn't even let him go play in the yard. :glare:

Tarantula Hawk - photos - video - DesertUSA

This part from the article did kinda give me a funny visual, though...LOL
"The wasps are "nectivorous," and they have been known to become "flight-challenged" after consuming fermented fruit."

Last edited:

Horse Fly? Did I hear Horse Fly? They are considered the State Bird of Maine. Just ask Bakechef! They have a season of their own in Maine. :angel:

We seem to have an abundance of tarantula hawks (wasps) this year. UGH. They're enormous (2" in length), can be aggressive, and have a very painful sting. I haven't seen any in the back yard yet today, maybe they have moved on. I sure hope so, my 3 yr. old grandson was here yesterday and I couldn't even let him go play in the yard. :glare:

Tarantula Hawk - photos - video - DesertUSA

This part from the article did kinda give me a funny visual, though...LOL
"The wasps are "nectivorous," and they have been known to become "flight-challenged" after consuming fermented fruit."

Oh dear, hoping for no stings for you and yours. This was cool reading! Thanks Cheryl!

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom