HELP...with my laptop!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
I am at my wit's end. I don't know what is going wrong, but I can't get my laptop to allow me to print..anything. It printed just fine a few days ago.

Now, it keeps telling me "We're sorry. One Note is cleaning up from the last time it was open. Please wait." Then, I have a prompt to click on cancel.

When I cancel that, another window comes up and says, "It looks like OneNote is having trouble starting right now. If you keep seeing this message, please restart your computer and start OneNote again. We're sorry."

First of all, I have no idea what OneNote is and I've restarted and refreshed my computer 9 times in the last three hours with no success.

I can print NOTHING. None of my word documents, none of my photos, nary a thing from the Internet. Zip, zero, nada.

Can someone get me out of this mess?

I don't know for sure, but if you don't use onenote, then uninstall it. Go to the Control Panel, look for Programs and Features, find onenote, uninstall, then reboot.

Katie, Onenote is part of microsoft office. Look for it in the MS Office folder to delete it.

That's odd though I don't know what operating system you are using. Mine is Win7, and it lists OneNote as Microsoft OneNote Home and Student 2016, right after my Microsoft Office 2010. I didn't pay for OneNote and I believe it was installed as part of an update for Windows, for free. I hope you figure out what is happening.

As always, reboot, which you've done numerous times. Then power down the printer, unplug both power and the cable to the computer, give it a minute before plugging back together.

The folder should be listed with all your other applications on the hard drive. Can you do a search on "one note" or Microsoft Office?

Sounds like you have unfinished jobs in your print que.

Control panel - hardware - printers - clear the print jobs.

Last edited:
Katie, it sounds like your default printer setting may have changed. What you'll need to do is go into "Devices and Printers" in Control Panel (just open Windows Control Panel and type "devices and printers" into the search box at the top).

If you're using Windows 7, you can also click on the "Start" button at the bottom left of the screen, and you should see "Devices and Printers" on the menu (look to the right).

When you click on that setting, it should bring up a list of printers. Find the printer you normally use, right-click on it, and select "Set as Default Printer".

Hopefully that will fix your problem.

Last edited:
T
Katie, it sounds like your default printer setting may have changed. What you'll need to do is go into "Devices and Printers" in Control Panel (just open Windows Control Panel and type "devices and printers" into the search box at the top).

If you're using Windows 7, you can also click on the "Start" button at the bottom left of the screen, and you should see "Devices and Printers" on the menu (look to the right).

When you click on that setting, it should bring up a list of printers. Find the printer you normally use, right-click on it, and select "Set as Default Printer".

Hopefully that will fix your problem.

Thank you, Steve. That solved the problem, along with deleting some sort of OneNote printer reference, which I didn't put there.

I've been able to print normally.

Thanks, everyone, for your help and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom