"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Head Chef

HOA Advice

The communication has always been very poor with the HOA (Board of Directors). They either don't reply to emails, hang up on me, lay the F bomb on me etc. & give nasty/sarcastic answers (when they do reply). Fewer & fewer owners go to meetings. As usual, I had to ask 3 times for the Minutes for 2008 to date. Here are two different responses from two different Board members. How would you take it, would you reply, & if so what would you say?

First - I sent a memo to a lady who has a foreign first & last name. I inadvertently addressed her by her last name first. Her reply was - my name is SO and SO -- please don't forget it.

Next - memo from another Board member.
I made a few suggestions on how to cut costs re an upcoming 2nd whopping assessment. Re one of my suggestions, in writing, he said it was a "stupid" idea.

Would you reply, & if so, what would you say? TIA

ETA: Not long ago, I consulted with an attorney re several matters here. Pretty much, his advice was to get out, it would be very expensive to pursue anything legally, & he could not help me. I've gone to Schwartzenegger's site (Ca. HOA), read through as much as I could, but don't see anything re specific situations that would apply; or how to vote members off the Board etc. Several of the same people have been on the Board for years - off and on.

There's much more, but I'm so upset & shakey right now from the last several weeks of stress with the HOA, I'm about to cry.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

While it might make you feel good to respond, it would not change anything. Unless you are ready to move out then I would keep your mouth shut unfortunately.

If you are ready to move (have a placed lined up etc.) then i would inform the woman that it was an honest mistake and he lack of manners is disturbing. To the man I would tell him that there are no stupid ideas, just stupid people as is evident from his reply.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I would not stoop to their level....I would not respond!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Ah, democracy in action. Amy, I understand what you are going through. 0i own a home, but, dealing with small town Govt. is very similar.

I agree w/GB in that responding will not do much other than single you out for scrutiny and more grief.

The only two options that I see are leave, which I believe that you indicated you were not prepared to do and replace the board.

I am not aware of the exact procedure where you are, but, the byLaws or whatever they are called for have to spell out term lengths and how to get on the ballot.

This should have been given to you at closing, however, the HOA must provide you with same upon request.
Be forewarned, you should be willing to sit on the board yourself. You will need to recruit others as well to do the same. To effect change, you will need to garner a majority.
You will need to form a group or committee, of sorts to didtribute information to all the residents.
It is a lot of work and it may take more than one election. You CAN do it. Yse the time and effort as a tool to vent anger.

HTH - AC
Old 09-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I would not stoop to their level....I would not respond!
I have to concur with Uncle Bob on this one, Amy. But, if you must act, find Chico Bullers thread entitiled "life imitates art"!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
Sous Chef

We have powerful HOA's. Whether you like them or not, they are volunteers from your community. If you don't like what they are doing, get a group of like-minded homeowners and start attending meetings.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
Head Chef

Thank you GB, Bob & Adillo. I agree, & so far I have not said anything. I have a bad feeling the other shoe is about to drop - on their behalf. Guess I will have to sit tight & wait to see what happens.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
Hospitality Queen

amy, just last weekend, I was listening to a guy who gives legal advice on the radio, and someone had a similar situation, in which their HOA was brutal. His advice - Join it and become one of the heads of the group. Otherwise, you'll never be heard and you'll eventually have to move.

PS - why didn't I know you lived in LA? For some reason I thought you were in SF
Old 09-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
Hospitality Queen

You need to speak directly with your property's actual owner.
If the HOA won't give you the information as to who exactly owns your property, there is a way to find out. First try an internet search. If that doesn't work, go to the city hall records. That should help.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
Sous Chef

*amy*, you are in a tough place. This is what I would do. If any of it is helpful, use it. If it's not, just throw it out. I have lots of dumb ideas. Just ask my friends.

Forget attorneys. You may have a good case, but there's little payback for them, so they don't want to deal with it.

Forget the HOA. Right now they hold all the cards and you will be labeled a troublemaker.

On the flip side, there are other homeowners certain to be dissatisfied. They don't want to get involved so nothing ever changes. Talk with a few people and ask them to talk with a few more. Even if there are 3 or 4 have a short meeting around the pool. Spread the word. Make a plan.

My only experience in this is unseating one board member. The majority of us , through grass roots efforts, appointed one man as proxy. He went to the board meeting and took another homeowner along. He nominated himself, the other homeowner seconded the motion, then he cast all the proxie votes for himself. It worked.

Good luck.