"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Charlie D.,

Thanks for compliment ... It is the Mediterranean products ... Have you watched the series Two Greedy Italians - BBC TV ? ( they can be watched on You Tube - Two Greedy Italians Series ). And quite funny too ... as well as quite emotional ... Each segment is a bit different ...

I believe you shall appreciate this series. Bolas had sent it to us here at Forum, and now I am following. Fascinating, about two men in their upper 60s or early 70s, who travel the backroads of regional Italy and visit: dairy makers, inns, trattorias, farms, wineries, boutique hotels, butchers, fish mongers and farmers ... Breathtakingly beautiful scenery and the products are amazing ... Very innovative ...

*** See Post of Bolas in Ethnic Cuisine.

*** I am going to post A Spinach, Cep & Homemade Ricotta Lasagne ...

I did not do anything special, just the Mixture in between the layers was made with home made Ricotta, fresh spinach blanched and the ceps were sautéd and drained of the evoo --- then, the top layer home made Besciamella white sauce, no meat whatsoever, and it was fab !

I shall document and post.

Many thanks again,
Margi.

Have nice day,
Margi.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #32
Sous Chef

I like the idea of mixing mushrooms, peppers, spinach and cheese in the food processor. I bet that would add a lot to the texture. Yum!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #33
Master Chef

Howdy neighbor. It really does. As I mention before I never liked lasagna before until I tasted this one. It really is good. And I bet with Varieties of regular cheeses available it can be even better.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:08 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I like the idea of mixing mushrooms, peppers, spinach and cheese in the food processor. I bet that would add a lot to the texture. Yum!
Wouldn't you ned some sort of moisture to spread it? Like some of the sauce? Or would you just dollop it on like you would the ricotta?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #35
Executive Chef

@ Addie,

Ricotta is quite spreadable when at room temperature --- and put in Food Processor with Pecorino, Buffala di Mozzarella ---

However, Skittle prepares her´s quite different than I do.

I personally do not combine the vegetables with the mushrooms, nor the cheese. I have three aspects: 1st: the ricotta, pecorino and buffala di mozzarella mixture with only the spinach or the spinach in my dough, for a spinach lasagne
2ndly: the mushrooms sliced and intact, which were sautéed
3rdly: the veggie combination

The ricotta mix is a cheese spread; which is spread on the lasagne sheets, then, the veggies on top spread. The mushrooms are placed on top of that, and then, another sheet layer of lasagne sheets ...

Have lovely day.
Margi.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Most Americans dollop their ricotta mixture on the noodles. I have found they make the mixture with too much moisture and as a result it runs out when cut and served. I prefere my ricotta mixture a little bit thicker and spread across the noodle. That way everyone get some of it and it doesn't run out the sides when cut. I also lay my noodles in opposite direction with each layer. Easier to cut neater squares for serving.

Years ago I found at a yard sale, a square spatula with teeth on the end. Perfect for cutting lasanga and serving. I am surprised my daughter hasn't claimed it yet as her own.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #37
Head Chef

I'm starting to feel inadequate with 2 layers. I start off with meat/filling at the bottom, then a layer of pasta sheets (however many it takes to cover), then meat/filling, then pasta, then topping.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I'm starting to feel inadequate with 2 layers. I start off with meat/filling at the bottom, then a layer of pasta sheets (however many it takes to cover), then meat/filling, then pasta, then topping.
Haven't you heard? It's not the size that counts, it's how you use those layers.

Seriously, I am no longer able to have all that pasta, the rest of the meat sauce and cheese I can eat all day. So a two layer would be the right amount of pasta.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #39
Executive Chef

@ Addie,

I would never dollop anything on top of anything ! Not my style ... If I am going to cook, I do it from scratch with care. Otherwise, I hop off to a restaurant of choice, as I truly enjoy that too ... or go to a Tasca and have a glass of wine and a typical Tapa or Calamari or grilled Langoustines = large Prawns ...

I place my Ricotta, Pecorino & Buffala di Mozzarella Mixture Spread, directly spread onto the layers of the home made Pasta --- and I make my own Ricotta ( See: Cheese Section and it so easy, a baby can make it ! )

I had learnt from my Italian Paternal Grandmom and the French cooking from my Mom and I attended Le Cordon Bleu Culinary Institute for perfecting ... The rest from courses from time to time as I enjoy and years of practice.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Princess Fiona and Gravy Queen,

Nothing wrong with a small two layer Lasagne Ladies,

I do a 7 layer, as the two of us, ( Lasagne-Oholics & Cheese-Oholics ) have a heated up Square for lunch during our laboral week ... and thus, this provides both of us with lunches when weather is nasty especially, or otherwise, I prefer to get out for lunch, then sit in Office and The Vet same ... or a quick dinner during week ...

So gals, have nice day.
Margi.