"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 05-23-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer
How often do you take out cash?

I am just sort of curious. How often do you go to the bank or ATM to take out cash?

I just noticed that I have $40 on me right now. I pay for almost everything by credit card (and pay the balance off in full each month). The $40 that I have on me right now was taken out of an ATM on Jan 1 the night before I went on a business trip. I withdrew $200 for cab fare and anything else I might need while traveling. This morning when I counted my money I was amazed that I still had $40 on me. I have only spent $160 in cash in almost half a year. That is just under a dollar a day in cash that I have spent so far.

So how about you? Do you use cash more frequently? Do you use debit or credit cards? Do you pay with wampum?

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I don't go to the atm very often. I don't have alot of money in my account so I try to leave it there lol.

middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
Master Chef
We hardly use cash, mostly use our debit/credit card for purchases.
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
None of the stores I shop at accept wampum.

I use credit and debit cards as much as possible and pay off the balance in full each month. We charge our grioceries, car washes etc. so we can get the points for airfares.

I don't make cash last as long as you do. I usually take $50-$100 in cash back when I use the debit card and that can last a week or month depending on what's going on. The take-out delivery guys prefer cash. I usually use cash for misc. small purchases.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Sous Chef
I only withdraw cash when I need a large amount to take with me when I travel to someplace. That would be a few times per year.
My boyfriend is usually the one who withdraws the day to day money we spend. I think he does it every one or two weeks, depending on what we are currently buying.

Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I only work 2 days a week so we cash my little checks to use for groceries and gas for the week.
It helps me keep on budget at the grocery store, because when I only have so much cash I only spend what I can...... There's no way I want to be at the register saying, "uh, I dont have enough $$ can I put this back?" I usually end up $20 under budget because I am so paranoid of being that person!
Usually towards the end of the off week that I don't get paid we will get some from the machine out of DH's checks to get to my next one, he gets paid weekly.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
House hold bills are paid with checks...Gas on credit card and, A few things on a Charge Card paid in full each month...Groceries, some gas, going out to eat, and most other day to day "stuff' is cash. I don't own an ATM card, So I personally use a lot of cash money...
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
Senior Cook
Very little cash spent at our house, everything on the little plastic card which we earn points from, and paid off in full each month. Do not remember the last time I withdrew cash from my bank, what cash we do spend comes from our 'yard sale pot'. We have a sale each summer and that is used for cash purchases, which are far and few between. We do not fly so we use cash the points in for gift cards. One year when we were living in Texas, we received enough Shell gas cards to pay for our gas on a trip we took to North Carolina. Now we are in the process of painting our house inside and out and all of the paint has been paid for by Home Depot gift cards.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away.
George Carlin.
Beachcomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
Head Chef
nope, i hate having cash on me. Call it an OCD but when i check my bank account online and i see that i have 100$ in there and i have 50 on me. I dont count that as 150$, i still count it as 100$ because i go by what number i see in my account. Its weird but thats how i do things.
*A substitute for human interaction* - I really need to find a girl whos name doesnt end with .JPG
LT72884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Cash baby! Unless I am buying something online or want to keep track of a business expense, everything is paid in cash and sometimes check. Especially something small, say under 20 bucks. Drives me nuts to see people buy a happy meal and pull out the plastic. I don't care what the commercial eludes to, it is still faster to pay with cash.
And I think we discussed this under another topic, but being that I own a small business, I have feelings for other small businesses and all those dinky CC sales take away a noticeable amount of markup when you are deducting your processing fees at the end of the month.

Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote