"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #21
Master Chef

Atkins type diets helped me to clean up my act and find a level of carbs that works for me. If I stick to 100-125 carbs per day I feel good and my blood sugar numbers stay where they need to be. That works out to about two portions of carbs per meal and a snack. It also means almost no baked goods, traditional pasta, milk etc... I'm able to sneak in some carb controlled, pasta, bread, ice cream or candy for a treat about once a month, my version of a walk on the wild side!

The hardest thing for me is not baking anymore!

Old 11-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #22
Executive Chef

A low carb diet includes vegetables, and some also include fruit. Most allow you to reintroduce carbs back into your diet until you reach the point where you can still lose or maintain. The carbs that get you in trouble are sugar, flour, rice, pasta, bread....and mostly because people are not aware of what signifies a portion.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #23
Executive Chef

It is true that vegetables and fruit are off limits in the beginning of the Atkins diet approach.
Many disagree with eliminating these foods. I do agree they should be eliminated as much as possible in the beginning.
Once you have reached a desirable weigh or waistline, then reintroducing carbs is optional.
Personally, I can just cut out my late night sweet indulgence and always be at a good weight or size.
But it sure is nice to know I can lose a few pounds and a couple inches in no time at all.
I have two almost brand new suits (worn two or three times each) that I could not fit into comfortably. I knew an occasion was approaching where I would need to wear one.
So, instead of buying a new suit, I used the low carb approach and was in the suit within two weeks. Comfortably in the suit.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #24
Executive Chef

As a personal trainer and nutritionist, I always preferred the South Beach diet to the Atkins plan because South Beach was a bit less restrictive and a little more forgiving, but the best diet out there, in my educated opinion, is the Zone diet, which is based on 40:30:30 ratio, carbs to protein to fats. Of course, as a gym rat trying to build lean muscle, I reversed it and made it 40% protein, 30% carbohydrates (mostly complex) and 30% fat, with 10% or less saturated fat. With this plan you can adjust your calorie intake to accommodate your metabolism and your weight loss goals without having to give up any one particular food group.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
It is true that vegetables and fruit are off limits in the beginning of the Atkins diet approach.
Many disagree with eliminating these foods. I do agree they should be eliminated as much as possible in the beginning.
Once you have reached a desirable weigh or waistline, then reintroducing carbs is optional.
Personally, I can just cut out my late night sweet indulgence and always be at a good weight or size.
But it sure is nice to know I can lose a few pounds and a couple inches in no time at all.
I have two almost brand new suits (worn two or three times each) that I could not fit into comfortably. I knew an occasion was approaching where I would need to wear one.
So, instead of buying a new suit, I used the low carb approach and was in the suit within two weeks. Comfortably in the suit.
You can still have low carb vegis during induction, just keep total carbs at 20 grams/day.

Tags
diet