"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 127
Is it difficult replacing socket board?

Example below. It's cracked. And I have a lot of socket boards like this home.
I have no electricity certificate or experience. Can I do it by myself? Is it safe by just following the general method taught by youtube or elsewhere?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32324224424.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	36503  
__________________

kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,649
If you're asking about replacing that cracked plastic, it's easy.

Those two buttons pop off to reveal screws. Undo the screws and the cracked switchplate will fall off.

Reverse the steps to put on the new one. You won't come in contact with any electrical bits unless you stick a screwdriver into the wires set into the wall.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,558
I've never seen a switchplate like that before. But, they are just cosmetic. You don't need to be an electrician, as a long as, like Andy said, you don't poke your fingers and tools in around the wires.

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:54 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,372
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I agree with Andy and caseydog. I've done it a number of times.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:24 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 12,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...You won't come in contact with any electrical bits unless you stick a screwdriver into the wires set into the wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
...You don't need to be an electrician, as a long as, like Andy said, you don't poke your fingers and tools in around the wires.
It's so simple I've changed a cover plate for a light switch. To be on the safe side, though, pull the fuse or flip the circuit breaker for the power to that socket. Better to be safe than sorry. I even kill the power to the garbage disposal if I need to dig anything out of its mouth, and it has an on/off switch that is in the "off" position with no chance of getting accidentally flipped.
__________________
“How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?”— Charles de Gaulle

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:52 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 127
No a complete replacement including the pressed button so probably need to touch some wires......
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:04 AM   #7
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
No a complete replacement including the pressed button so probably need to touch some wires......
That is different. You can still do it yourself, but you need to cut the power to that switch. That means either turning a breaker off, or removing a fuse, depending on how old your house is.

I have special tools that help me find the right breaker/fuse, and to test for current at the point of the switch. You can safely do it without those toolds, it is just easier with them.

If you lived near me, I could probably do it in ten minutes. But, without knowing more about the age of your home and electrical system, I don't know exactly what to tell you. Like I said, I've never seen a switch like that before, but it looks pretty old.

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 13,077
Is it difficult replacing socket board?

Ok, ask a friend who’s done this do it for you. Although this is a very simple electrical job for most DIY’ers have someone walk you through it the first time.

Curious, the switch looks like you live out in the Far East. Where are you located?
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:56 PM   #9
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Ok, ask a friend who’s done this do it for you. Although this is a very simple electrical job for most DIY’ers have someone walk you through it the first time.

Curious, the switch looks like you live out in the Far East. Where are you located?
clever, how can you tell from my switch?

Yes, I am in HK.
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:58 PM   #10
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
That is different. You can still do it yourself, but you need to cut the power to that switch. That means either turning a breaker off, or removing a fuse, depending on how old your house is.

I have special tools that help me find the right breaker/fuse, and to test for current at the point of the switch. You can safely do it without those toolds, it is just easier with them.

If you lived near me, I could probably do it in ten minutes. But, without knowing more about the age of your home and electrical system, I don't know exactly what to tell you. Like I said, I've never seen a switch like that before, but it looks pretty old.

CD
Thanks, but unfortunately, we are too far away. I will try to learn from Youtube.
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:52 AM   #11
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
Thanks, but unfortunately, we are too far away. I will try to learn from Youtube.
That's better than just diving in. As roadfix said, having a friend show you how the first time is a great idea.

The most important thing it to make sure the power going to that switch is OFF.

I've been shocked a few times. The las time, I got shocked, I was replacing a ceiling fan for a neighbor, and the fan motor and the light on the fan were on two separate circuits. I have no idea why someone would wire a house that way, but I went from standing on a ladder to siting on the floor very suddenly.

I now have and inexpensive probe that tells me if electricity is present where I am working. You just poke it around the wires you will be working with, and it will beep if power is present.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...1SEN/100661787

Something like this should be available in HK. They are cheap, and can save your life.

CD
__________________

__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×