"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Is it difficult replacing socket board?

Example below. It's cracked. And I have a lot of socket boards like this home.
I have no electricity certificate or experience. Can I do it by myself? Is it safe by just following the general method taught by youtube or elsewhere?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32324224424.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	36503  

kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

If you're asking about replacing that cracked plastic, it's easy.

Those two buttons pop off to reveal screws. Undo the screws and the cracked switchplate will fall off.

Reverse the steps to put on the new one. You won't come in contact with any electrical bits unless you stick a screwdriver into the wires set into the wall.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
Master Chef

I've never seen a switchplate like that before. But, they are just cosmetic. You don't need to be an electrician, as a long as, like Andy said, you don't poke your fingers and tools in around the wires.

CD
Old 09-02-2019, 07:54 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I agree with Andy and caseydog. I've done it a number of times.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:24 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...You won't come in contact with any electrical bits unless you stick a screwdriver into the wires set into the wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
...You don't need to be an electrician, as a long as, like Andy said, you don't poke your fingers and tools in around the wires.
It's so simple I've changed a cover plate for a light switch. To be on the safe side, though, pull the fuse or flip the circuit breaker for the power to that socket. Better to be safe than sorry. I even kill the power to the garbage disposal if I need to dig anything out of its mouth, and it has an on/off switch that is in the "off" position with no chance of getting accidentally flipped.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:52 PM   #6
Senior Cook

No a complete replacement including the pressed button so probably need to touch some wires......
Old 09-03-2019, 03:04 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
No a complete replacement including the pressed button so probably need to touch some wires......
That is different. You can still do it yourself, but you need to cut the power to that switch. That means either turning a breaker off, or removing a fuse, depending on how old your house is.

I have special tools that help me find the right breaker/fuse, and to test for current at the point of the switch. You can safely do it without those toolds, it is just easier with them.

If you lived near me, I could probably do it in ten minutes. But, without knowing more about the age of your home and electrical system, I don't know exactly what to tell you. Like I said, I've never seen a switch like that before, but it looks pretty old.

CD
Old 09-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Is it difficult replacing socket board?

Ok, ask a friend who’s done this do it for you. Although this is a very simple electrical job for most DIY’ers have someone walk you through it the first time.

Curious, the switch looks like you live out in the Far East. Where are you located?
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:56 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Ok, ask a friend who’s done this do it for you. Although this is a very simple electrical job for most DIY’ers have someone walk you through it the first time.

Curious, the switch looks like you live out in the Far East. Where are you located?
clever, how can you tell from my switch?

Yes, I am in HK.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:58 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
That is different. You can still do it yourself, but you need to cut the power to that switch. That means either turning a breaker off, or removing a fuse, depending on how old your house is.

I have special tools that help me find the right breaker/fuse, and to test for current at the point of the switch. You can safely do it without those toolds, it is just easier with them.

If you lived near me, I could probably do it in ten minutes. But, without knowing more about the age of your home and electrical system, I don't know exactly what to tell you. Like I said, I've never seen a switch like that before, but it looks pretty old.

CD
Thanks, but unfortunately, we are too far away. I will try to learn from Youtube.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:52 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
Thanks, but unfortunately, we are too far away. I will try to learn from Youtube.
That's better than just diving in. As roadfix said, having a friend show you how the first time is a great idea.

The most important thing it to make sure the power going to that switch is OFF.

I've been shocked a few times. The las time, I got shocked, I was replacing a ceiling fan for a neighbor, and the fan motor and the light on the fan were on two separate circuits. I have no idea why someone would wire a house that way, but I went from standing on a ladder to siting on the floor very suddenly.

I now have and inexpensive probe that tells me if electricity is present where I am working. You just poke it around the wires you will be working with, and it will beep if power is present.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...1SEN/100661787

Something like this should be available in HK. They are cheap, and can save your life.

CD