Killer Kangaroos... Who Knew ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You should see how much damage one of today's type can do to a car when you hit it at speed! I am glad the fangs have been bred out,I don't think I'd be patting one of the prehistoric sort!! We certainly do have some unusual animals here.:)

And some cute ones MrsMac. Koalas and Wombats come to mind. Them tazzies though... I'd never want to come across one of them suckers lol.

My Dad's car was a write-off when a huge male kangaroo appeared from nowhere and jumped onto the bonnet of his car. It caused the car to roll right over and my father was pinned in the car for a couple of hours as it was in the early hours of the morning.

Oh yes, they can do enormous amounts of damage to vehicles, and they aren't all that safe to be around people, either! Tame ones which are accustomed to having people around can still have a show of temper and disembowel anyone who upsets them - the wild ones shouldn't be approached at all. Size doesn't matter. Although there are many roadkills, it's surprising how often the kangaroo comes off better than the vehicles! They are an absolute menace on country roads. They'll run along beside your vehicle for miles and miles, then without the slightest warning, they'll jump in front of your car and WHAM! One bruised roo, one written-off car. Emus are quite good at this game, too. I have never figured out why they swerve in front of the vehicle, never behind it.

As for those cute, cuddly little koalas... If one enters your garden, you lock up your pets and your kids, and immediately ring the local Koala Rescue, and soon somebody arrives armed with nets on long poles, and heavy gauntlets and other impressive protective gear. Those little darlings can rip a child or a dog to pieces in no time flat, and they do it, too - frequently. Never, never approach one in the wild, and don't upset a tame one, either!

How do I know? I spent much of my youth in the Outback, now living in Koala Territory. I'm just glad the Tough Guys are a thing of the past.

Last edited:
Last time I was in NSW and travelling from Canberra to Bateman's Bay, I counted 27 wombats dead at the side of the road. My sister said that not all were roadkill, some had been trying to escape the bush fires they'd had locally, just before I arrived. The wombats were just trying to outrun the fires and had died of exhaustion or heat or smoke inhalation. So sad, I love wombats. In fact, every time I go to Bateman's Bay, I go to the children's zoo and fight my way to the front when the local WIRES people ask who would like to hold the baby wombats! Shame on a grown woman for pushing kids out of the way! :cool:

My sister's previous home was a short distance from the Capital. The kangaroos used her property as a kind of short cut to the area on the next property where they used to congregate... It was surreal to be standing in her kitchen and watch a whole group of them 'boing-ing' past the windows. They used to stand in a circle in the moonlight.... strange animals!

Yes, Australia certainly has the world's lions' share of odd animals.:)

Aus is great for animal enthusiats. Although I won't forgive the person who managed to freak me with stories of 'drop bears'.

:) From what I understand kangas can also stomp and box the crap out of you.Here in northern New Mexico we have elk and they are way bigger then a roo and it can turn into a really bad crash as with the bison if they get on the highway at night.But the problem any where in the US is is if you try to swerve to avoid hitting an animal you just might hit a tree or something worse.

Back
Top Bottom