"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #61
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Breath in...Breath out...nice and slow now... in...out...

Old 12-04-2007, 02:45 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, breathe.

breathe, breathe in the air
don't be afraid to care
leave, but don't leave me
look around
choose your own ground

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #63
Executive Chef

[quote=buckytom;516753]lol, breathe.quote]
You're in fine form today, bt!
Old 12-04-2007, 02:49 PM   #64
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
there goes that hooked on phonics learning again!!!lol
Old 12-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #65
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Thanks mikki at least some of us have a sense of humor.Not to say I never went off the deep end a few times myself.
Not lack of sense of humour, lack of understanding what was written. I would not have been a well liked elementary school teacher because I'd just fail them all because I couldn't understand what they were trying to write.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #66
Executive Chef

Quote:
Ok,Ok everybody.Lets all take our medications and do our deep breathing exercises.
Oh, if only I had meds to take so I could breathe! I'm dying here.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:14 PM   #67
Head Chef

This is the fact of life - poor grammar and spelling (spelling is the death of me) for someone born and raised here is without excuse. Try that letter in a portfolio and see how far one climbs in the business world.

This last quarter I sat in on a sociology class (as a 60+ guest). The teacher is about 34 from Ukraine with a PhD from Cornell. At the start of the class she made it very plain to everyone that papers with grammer and spelling errors would not be graded. Period. Those needing help were referred to the remedial English class and I promise there were a bunch of potential candidates. Our cream is being watered down by what Callisto is talking about. It's sad.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #68
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, breathe.

breathe, breathe in the air
don't be afraid to care
leave, but don't leave me
look around
choose your own ground
I probably would have got that wrong to but usually when I see it done right I try to remember it.I for one cannot get into this debate because I know my grammer,punctuation and spelling is not up to par.But I know it and try my best.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:27 PM   #69
Executive Chef

Quote:
I probably would have got that wrong to but usually when I see it done right I try to remember it.I for one cannot get into this debate because I know my grammer,punctuation and spelling is not up to par.But I know it and try my best.
I think that's a point we need to clarify here. Callisto was upset because a message from her child's Principal was badly written, with many obvious mistakes that should have been obvious to someone in that profession. She was upset because this person is the head of the school where her child is educated. I would be, too.

Most of us would be upset if our doctor didn't understand medical terminology because that is their job and we depend upon them doing their job well. We'd probably think twice about taking our car to a mechanic who doesn't know how to change oil or other fluids because we depend upon them to do their job well and keep our cars running. But we don't expect that everyone we know be equally proficient in auto mechanics or medical care.

The thrust of this thread is not to make anyone here to feel embarrassed or worry they will be thought less of because they may make spelling or grammatical errors in a post, IMO. My understanding is that Callisto is upset that a person serving in the capacity of educator for her daughter was setting a poor example and she is concerned that it will lower standards at the school in the future.

JP, you have helped me so many times when I've had questions and I am so grateful for your skill and knowledge and generosity in sharing with me. I know I'm not the only one. So let's just assume "present company excepted" in this thread and nobody worry if they make a mistake or a typo or an error in grammar.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #70
Sous Chef

Well said, well said. No one is judged at this site. We seek opinions, and others' experiences on a variety of subjects. Dawn T ;>)