"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Garage/Yard Sale: To Price, or Not Price
Yes, post a price on each item 7 100.00%
No, let every shopper barter 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2015, 09:22 AM   #11
Head Chef

Pricing yard sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The problem with a table of $1 or $5 items, is I have seen people move stuff and I have seen people insist that it came from the cheaper table. I would just tell those people that it was a mistake or someone must have moved it. and you want the higher price.
I'd set three or four standard prices, then use those stick on dots. Red for a buck, yellow for 5, etc.

Items not stickered are tagged.

Stops people moving things and is much faster than writing individual tags.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I'd set three or four standard prices, then use those stick on dots. Red for a buck, yellow for 5, etc.

Good thinking. I'll try to remember that if I have a yard sale.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Also remember to make a big sign telling the buyers the system of the colors. After each explanation, place a large dot of the color for that price. It will save you from answering a lot of repeated questions.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:16 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:

I've been to a couple of estate sales recently, and they used this method - I'd highly recommend this, it's a fabulous idea and works very well! They put up a couple of large poster board paper on the garage walls with the colored stick on dots, and the corresponding prices next to them. No questions, no pricing every little thing...it works great.

I'd much rather go to garage sales than have them - good luck with yours CG, I hope it goes smoothly! I also agree with a freebie box, and lowering the prices the last day of the sale. You don't want to lug anything back in.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:43 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
I'd set three or four standard prices, then use those stick on dots. Red for a buck, yellow for 5, etc....
Thanks for this reminder, Bigjim. I did this a long time ago for a previous sale, forgot all about it. You're right, though - it does simplify things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
..I'd much rather go to garage sales than have them - good luck with yours CG, I hope it goes smoothly! I also agree with a freebie box, and lowering the prices the last day of the sale. You don't want to lug anything back in.
Actually, Optimistic Me is hoping for two sales - one sometime later this month, another in early September once the kids are settled back in school. Between the two, we'll leave one car in the driveway so half the garage can store the leftovers. Since the local Boy Scout troop has a yard sale the end of September, I'll probably contact the troop to see if they have someone with a truck who could haul away all the donations after the September sale.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #16
Master Chef

My thoughts are to price the more substantial items (anything over $5). My friend had a sale with every thing priced at $1. She made more money than she normally did. Some things went cheap and others went for more. She also did a bag day. Fill a bag for $5 on the last day. Our church youth group stopped pricing a long time ago. The customer says "how much?" we say "what'll you give?" they say "x$" we say "ok". Went from average of $800 per sale to $1500. Made it easy too.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
My thoughts are to price the more substantial items (anything over $5). My friend had a sale with every thing priced at $1. She made more money than she normally did. Some things went cheap and others went for more. She also did a bag day. Fill a bag for $5 on the last day. Our church youth group stopped pricing a long time ago. The customer says "how much?" we say "what'll you give?" they say "x$" we say "ok". Went from average of $800 per sale to $1500. Made it easy too.
I agree, try tossing out the line "what do you think is fair?" and most people will surprise you with an amount higher that the one you had in mind.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Ditto, re: Aunt Bea. I have organized a number of sales for charity. We always did the table with colored dots on the items and a white board with the prices to match the color of dots. Also, we would have a sign on the table with the colored dot system so that if things got moved from one table to another, the dot would help. We also had a best offer table. That was were the items that were worth the more would go.

Everything should be clean. If you have electrical items, an extension cord and a power bar so people can test that the item works is a good idea.

Advertise! And, if the day is a hot day, have bottles of water on ice in a cooler (people don't want to shop when thirsty). If you have any sunshades, set those up over tables. At noon on the last day, change your signs--2 for 1, buy 2 get 1 free, etc.

Make sure you go to the bank and get lots of change. Around here, bank machines dispense $20s, so we needed a lot of change for $20s because we would get a lot of $20s first thing in the day, smaller bills if people had been doing the circuit.

Tags
rice