"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
SherryDAmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northeast
Posts: 275
Prime Rib - A Heartbreaking story

Last Christmas, I bought a USDA prime grade Prime Rib from Wegman's at a whopping $212. Served six, twice. DH is STILL screaming about it, but damn, was it good. And I used this method: Perfect Prime Rib | Serious Eats : Recipes And it was perfect and delicious. Well worth the price, I said (to placate DH.)

The comes Valentine's Day, and so we had a Choice Grade prime rib for six again, but this time it was $55, and I used Kenji's method again.

Guess what? Everyone loved the second one a much as the first, couldn't tell the difference, and was just as happy as, well Christmas!

Sigh.

__________________

__________________
The more you live, the less you die" - Janis Joplin
SherryDAmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,404
don't you just hate that...
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:38 AM   #3
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
$212!!!!! That's R1955 South African. That is 3 times my monthly meat bill!!!
I would get heartburn just cooking it lol!
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,404
As far as price sounds just about right for the high end peace of meat and especially the time of year when retailers try to get top buck for top product
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
As far as price sounds just about right for the high end peace of meat and especially the time of year when retailers try to get top buck for top product
We would starve on our income in the US

Good quality prime rib in SA is about R120 per kg. That would be about $13.
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
We would starve on our income in the US

Good quality prime rib in SA is about R120 per kg. That would be about $13.
That works out to about $6.00-$6.50 USD per pound (2.2Lb/Kg). That's a good sale price around here. Regular prices are higher.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,419
I find the same logic applies to wine. I belong to a wine club and know quite a few people - myself included - who at some point in their lives have gone out and purchased a very expensive ($100+) bottle of wine, only to discover it wasn't the orgasmic beverage experience they thought it would be. To put it another way, a $100 bottle is not necessarily five times better than one that costs $20.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That works out to about $6.00-$6.50 USD per pound (2.2Lb/Kg). That's a good sale price around here. Regular prices are higher.
Guess we're pretty lucky then Prime rib goes on sale once a month at our butcher for roughly $3 per pound.
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,406
A lot of prime rib is sold for Christmas dinners. As a result, the price goes up for a while.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryDAmore View Post
Last Christmas, I bought a USDA prime grade Prime Rib from Wegman's at a whopping $212. Served six, twice. DH is STILL screaming about it, but damn, was it good. And I used this method: Perfect Prime Rib | Serious Eats : Recipes And it was perfect and delicious. Well worth the price, I said (to placate DH.)

The comes Valentine's Day, and so we had a Choice Grade prime rib for six again, but this time it was $55, and I used Kenji's method again.

Guess what? Everyone loved the second one a much as the first, couldn't tell the difference, and was just as happy as, well Christmas!

Sigh.
You are always going to pay more than top dollar for a major holiday meal. Nobody I know makes prime rib in August. The one month that is no holiday. Buy one then and put it in the freezer.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.