"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 12-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #41
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
and never cook sauce naked.
Or fry bacon!

Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:39 PM   #42
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Or fry bacon!
I was about to say the same thing! My cousin's wife found this one out the hard way!

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:13 PM   #43
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
learn 2 things:
1) How to be Intimidating
2) how to say "It`s Supposed to be like that, have you No class!?"

Seriously tho :)

the main thing is to Always be Flexible and have a good Back-up plan, Just in case!

and another tip that applies to Sauces, stocks, soups, stews (and probably a load of other things that begin with `S`) Dont cook the Love out of it, these things Can suffer from being cooked for Too long.
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:47 PM   #44
Assistant Cook
LOL YT2095

i like the first two !
lead me not into temptation for you are slow and will only get in the way
purringkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire
Always use the best ingredients you can get, have things in place before you start, and never but never be afraid to ask questions or for help...and give thanks where it's due.
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:15 PM   #46
Head Chef
Just because you added an ingredient, such as onions, at the beginning of cooking doesn't mean it won't give the dish a different dimension if you add some more towards the end.

You have to be selective here, but there are many dishes that readding an ingredient towards the end of the cooking process helps a lot.

And Worcestershire sauce helps almost every stew. You can keep it below the limit where most folks will recognize its presence, but it sure adds a bit of a tang.

Also a splash of vinegar in a soup, such as pea or lentil soup, just before serving adds a tang many like.
Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #47
Sous Chef
Don't be afraid to 'tweak' the recipes and add a little of this or a little of that as it comes to mind as something which may make it tasty in a slightly different way. Most of all enjoy it and have fun. No cooking is meant to be worried over..it takes the taste away
csalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:09 AM   #48
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Along with having fun, have a sense of humor. Many cooking mistakes turn into a whole new taste treat! And sometimes when things go wrong, a sense of humor can cause a cooking disaster to become a great story years later. I remember once when my mom made a chocolate meringue pie and accidentally dropped it into the sink full of dishwater. As fast as the pie slipped into the water she pulled it back out. Because of her quick thinking, she was able to wash off the meringue and we had chocolate pudding for dessert! LOL That was over 30 years ago but I can see it in my mind like it was yesterday. If you can't laugh at your mistakes, you probably can't learn from them.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:15 AM   #49
Head Chef
So many good tips. Mine is to not forget why you are cooking and who you are cooking it for. Sit down and enjoy the food with those you love.
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:21 AM   #50
Executive Chef
Something I learnt recently - if using dried herbs add them at an early stage - eg onion frying stage so they start to release their flavour. Frsh herbs are better added towards the end, so the flavour is still fresh.

miniman is offline   Reply With Quote