"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2018, 04:52 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Shopping

I was out of bed early this am and decided to go and do the shopping first thing. Picked up fruit and veg, meat, and a few household requirements and decided to have a bit of a mooch round the Cancer Research UK charity shop.

Wandering round I spotted a dress. "Ooh!" I thought "I do like that". Took it into the changing room, put it on, looked in the mirror and then it hit me........

I'd donated the thing a few weeks earlier!!!

Needless to say, it went back on the rack.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

LOL!

Old 09-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I was out of bed early this am and decided to go and do the shopping first thing. Picked up fruit and veg, meat, and a few household requirements and decided to have a bit of a mooch round the Cancer Research UK charity shop.

Wandering round I spotted a dress. "Ooh!" I thought "I do like that". Took it into the changing room, put it on, looked in the mirror and then it hit me........

I'd donated the thing a few weeks earlier!!!

Needless to say, it went back on the rack.

Proof that you have had good taste in the past, and you've still got it! Still funny. Thanks for sharing.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Now that's funny.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I decided to get brave and go to the store. Only one store in my neighborhood has sidewalk accessibility. All the others have a step or two. So I headed out and the timing was perfect. A delivery truck was on his way in and held the door open for me and my scooter. And the girl behind the counter couldn't have been more pleasant or helpful. They now have a forever new customer.

Up to now I have been reluctant to use that store. It calls for crossing four lanes of traffic. And no traffic lights. I have been reluctant to use this store beause about 85% of what they sell is directed to the Spanish community. But they do have a small produce department. Good for lettuce and celery. Beautiful tomatoes. I bought just one and ate it on the way home.

And my electric scooter can just make it around the somewhat narrow aisles. I just can't risk standing up to reach anything up high. So the girl gladly came out from behind the counter to get what I needed.

Yup! They have a new customer. A very happy customer.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

That's very good news Addie. It will get you out and about on your own. It made me smile to think of that kind young woman. About crossing four lanes of traffic, I sure hope you have a high visible bright flag for your scooter!!

Old 09-14-2018, 06:55 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
That's very good news Addie. It will get you out and about on your own. It made me smile to think of that kind young woman. About crossing four lanes of traffic, I sure hope you have a high visible bright flag for your scooter!!
I do. And there is an island separating the two directions of traffic. I always stop there before I finish crossing the other side. I also have a very bright headlight and tail lights. The one thing I have always done, is that if I see traffic less than three car lengths heading my way, I wave them on. I can wait. I also only cross in clearly marked crosswalks. Even when I was able to cross with two legs.

If I stay on my street and cross on the main four lane crosswalk, there are traffic lights there with a "walk" light. It is a major school crossing. And I have noticed a police car sitting on the side, just waiting for some jerk who thinks they can beat the light. In this State, "yellow" does not mean speed up and beat the light. It means slow down to a safe stop.

Little by little, I am getting braver in trying new things. Well, old things, just done now in a new way.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:57 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Congratulations, Addie.

Things to do:

1. Start a group to agitate for a proper pedestrian crossing with traffic light
controls on the 4 lane road. A new interest in life.

2. Learn Spanish cookery

Old 09-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Congratulations, Addie.

Things to do:

1. Start a group to agitate for a proper pedestrian crossing with traffic light
controls on the 4 lane road. A new interest in life.

2. Learn Spanish cookery

I get my lunches delivered to me by my medical plan. The chef must be Spanish. Even after living in Southern Texas for almost four years, I still am not fond of their flavorings for their dishes. So what I don't eat, Pirate loves it and cleans up.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Addie, I'm relieved you're so aware of the dangers of crossing.

When I was a sassy teenager my Mom was hit by a car in a crosswalk right in front of our busy road. The memory of seeing her in a pool of blood will stay with me forever. Thank God she survived after months in the hospital. That's the day I devoted myself to being her perfect daughter, and I know I was that for her for the rest of her long life.