"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-12-2006, 08:57 PM   #11
Head Chef

I like both versions, too... but I love the twangy harmonies Jennifer adds.

Angie: Must be tough in the Hawkeye state when you don't do country. I don't like ALL country either. Actually, my tastes are pretty eclectic. There is a current 'arguement' in country right now about what country music IS and what it isn't. Many think today's country isn't country 'enough' and a LOT of it is only BARELY country. If you like country rock at all (e.g. the Eagles and stuff) you might like some of what's going on.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:03 PM   #12
Head Chef

OOOH! You get brownie points for knowing Iowa is the Hawkeye state! Most confuse us with Idaho and think we grow potatoes!

Yes, its hard. I do like the Eagles but I just can NOT stand that country twang. OLD country I can handle. I really enjoyed Walk The Line, but I can't do this newer stuff. I grew up with Merle and Waylen, Linda and Crystal, Kenny and Dolly, but also was doing my own thing at an early age...Olivia, Rick Springfield, Bee Gees...

Today I'm mostly into stuff that ranges from Green Day to 3 Doors Down to Linkin Park to Josh Groban...and a lot of stuff that no one probably has heard of.

Ironically, my second cousin plays with Tim McGraw. He is the steel guitarist.

Old 05-12-2006, 09:04 PM   #13
Head Chef

Oh...and Southern Rock is about as close as I get to liking country...
Old 05-12-2006, 09:11 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie
OOOH! You get brownie points for knowing Iowa is the Hawkeye state! Most confuse us with Idaho and think we grow potatoes!
I know the anguish of the confusion... and I don't deserve brownie points as I was born and raised in the Sioux City area.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:26 PM   #15
Head Chef

AHH! I'm in Marion (basically Cedar Rapids) and was born and raised in Waverly (just north of Waterloo). Great to know another HAWKEYE! I hope you aren't a cyclone fan, though............
Old 05-13-2006, 12:26 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
I think the "chunky" girl left for family reasons.

As I said before, I think the Sugarland Express will continue as long as they find a quality replacement for the one that left. Sometimes that can be the death of a group, even if it was not a lead player.

Rascal Flatts has been cleaning up, but my boys, Brooks and Dunn, are keeping rock steady for duo of the year for who knows how many years running!

Angie, have you seen Kenny Rogers recently? His face looks so plastic it's pathetic! He apparently didn't like the rugged "Gambler" look any more, so he lifted about everything one could lift on your face, and tanned it too. Now, I'm not the type to check out guys or go after them, but I can recognize if someone looks good. For Kenny, not just no, but **** NO!
Old 05-13-2006, 12:28 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
I think the "chunky" girl left for family reasons.

As I said before, I think the Sugarland Express will continue as long as they find a quality replacement for the one that left. Sometimes that can be the death of a group, even if it was not a lead player.

Rascal Flatts has been cleaning up, but my boys, Brooks and Dunn, are keeping rock steady for duo of the year for who knows how many years running!

Angie, have you seen Kenny Rogers recently? His face looks so plastic it's pathetic! He apparently didn't like the rugged "Gambler" look any more, so he lifted about everything one could lift on your face, and tanned it too. Now, I'm not the type to check out guys or go after them, but I can recognize if someone looks good. For Kenny, not just no, but **** NO!
NO I haven't! I thought I heard some talk on my local radio station about him when he was on American Idol...I'm gonna go check it out now!
Old 05-13-2006, 12:38 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
Their are like only two duo's in country music that release award winning country music at this point of time. That is why Brooks and Dunn have no one to compete with.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:19 PM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex
Their are like only two duo's in country music that release award winning country music at this point of time. That is why Brooks and Dunn have no one to compete with.
No one wants to take them on.

As for duos, there are more then two, but not many.

Big & Rich
Montgomery Gentry - I think they can be the next Brooks & Dunn if they keep it up.

Geez, that's it? Wow!
Old 05-14-2006, 10:17 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Big & Rich imo are a bit too new on the scene and have not really produced anything award winning yet.

Montgomery Gentry at least have.