"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

The Next Iron Chef

... starts tonight. Anyone planning to watch? I am

Old 10-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Definitely going to watch it! I’m actually watching Iron Chef America right now. Mario Batali is the Iron Chef doing andouille sausage battle. He went to grab some ingredients about 6 minutes in, and came back with an armload of greens. Alton Brown screams out “Chef, what are you going to do to those greens”. Mario quickly responded in a somewhat evil voice, “I’m gonna boil the he11 out of ‘em”! The way he said it was hilarious.

Uh, guess you had to see it???

Old 10-07-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
Head Chef

yes and it was a good show.. Realy made them sweat.. And these are the pro's.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:35 AM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I'm watching the last 1/2 of the rerun right now. Right away I notice several chefs that are the real deal; not like the folks you'd see on Who Wants to Be the Next Food Network Star. John Besh, Traci Des Jardins, and Michael Symon are all well known, and I'm actually excited that FoodTV has brought competitors of this quality to the show.

The only thing I wonder about is the fact that these are REAL chefs with REAL restaurants to run, and I wonder how well they will deal with the stress of TV and competition as well as being away from their businesses.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:41 AM   #5
Head Chef

Wow also just noticed that Michael Ruhlman is on the judging panel. Gotta say, he's probably right up there in popularity with Anthony Bourdain, and is a very analytic individual. Pick up his books if you haven't read them. This is shaping up to be a great show!
Old 10-08-2007, 02:34 AM   #6
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Can't wait to see it! Hawaii time is a little screwy when trying to catch shows I am used to at a different time though.

The andoullie battle was GREAT!
Old 10-08-2007, 08:27 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook View Post
I'm watching the last 1/2 of the rerun right now. Right away I notice several chefs that are the real deal; not like the folks you'd see on Who Wants to Be the Next Food Network Star. John Besh, Traci Des Jardins, and Michael Symon are all well known, and I'm actually excited that FoodTV has brought competitors of this quality to the show.
Yeah, I recognized several who had participated in Iron Chef America battles this past year. Great show
Old 10-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Yeah, I recognized several who had participated in Iron Chef America battles this past year. Great show
I believe all are former challengers from ICA. I recognized them all from the battles, except Chef Jill, the younger of the female chefs.

I was really disappointed that Des Jarden (sp?) was the first eliminated. I thought Symon's fall back use of a colleagues recipe involving the bacon ice cream was the death of him.

I personally think that Besh is the one to beat. Not to take away from the rest at all; I just think he's got the best shot of them all based on round 1 and recalling his battle in ICA.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Certainly watching.

Besh or the funky haired San Fran guy are probably the toughest...but any chef can have a bad day so we'll see!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #10
Head Chef

Yeah, I don't really know why they got on Symon so hard about using a familiar recipe. It seems to me like you would want your ICA to have a large repertoire from which to draw experience and ideas.