The timing of meals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I'm not sure where to put this, but it is a food question and seems to come up for us somewhat regularly. My husband and I pretty much grew up in homes where food was eaten on a fairly regular basis. That is to say, we ate before we went to school, sometime around noon, and sometime around 5-6 p.m. when our fathers came home from work.

Now I'm in my mid fifties, DH is in his early 60s. He has blood sugar issues, as do some of my friends. BUT ... other friends, for the most part older than us (in their 70s) will invite us to go here or there, especially in the middle of the day, and not specify if we're having lunch. Most recently our older friends will invite us on a road trip (something we've done a lot over the years) or to their home, and not specify if we're doing lunch. I'm very proud of my husband for his ability to correct blood sugar issues, but I do wonder why people aren't specific.

The most recent road trip, I put some cheese, whole wheat crackers, and pate in my purse. There were five of us in the car, 2 of us with blood sugar issues, and when I insisted we stop for lunch, they were willing, but it was, "Oh, we had a huge breakfast at 11". We run into this problem with other friends. We dearly love them, but they consume 80% of their nutrition at 10 or 11 because huge, million calorie breakfasts are cheap. Ironically, the couples who do this are wealthy compared to us.

Yes, I'm learning to put a snack in my purse for my husband and my friend who have diabetes issues. But I've yet to fully learn to say to the friends, "Oh, are we having lunch/dinner/supper? Otherwise I'll bring something for XXXX who needs something nutritious and whole grain or good fruit."

I'm interested to know if anyone else has this problem. If you're invited to go somewhere at noon, or at 5 p.m., well, I expect that we'll be doing lunch or dinner or supper at those times. I've learned now to ask to bring something in my bag. My newly-diabetic gal friend thought I was kidding when I said I had whole-meal crackers, etc, in my bag.

good for you, i carry small bottle of oj, where ever i go. and sometimes a candy bar. if they don't want to stop for a meal. then i have something to keep blood sugar up.

sometimes people just don't know what the issues are and what will happen to the body if blood sugar drops to low. i have learned to speak up but also to be prepared.

I also travel with juice, fruit, healthy snacks in the car for my husband, as he is diabetic. If travelling with friends/family, and he suggests stopping to eat, they are always agreeable, as they know how important it is for him. We did run into this problem a few months ago while staying at someone's house. Breakfast was to be at 9am, at 2pm we still hadn't eaten. I found anything I could in the kitchen and gave it to him. Sometimes, you just have to be very assertive. Good luck!

The story is one of a long series of it happening over the years. Long before it was an issue with my husband, we went on a day trip with friends of ours who had a daughter who was maybe 5. They fed her a bowl of cereal before we left, but we got caught in traffic and when lunch time came and went, instead of pulling over at one of the (plentiful) restaurants in the area, it was about 3 p.m. before we sat down to lunch. Now this child was normally the most even tempered baby, toddler, and child I've ever experienced, but that day she was ---- on wheels. I had some sort of hard candy in my purse and was spacing them out, giving her one every once in awhile, but not wanting to give her too much of a sugar high and exacerbating the problem. After we got home, about a week later, I got a call and she'd been diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. Her father's inability to commit to regular meal times could have killed her. She's a young lady now and in control of her eating issues.

Back
Top Bottom